Sick melon plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick melon plants?

Hi guys, I hope you can help, I have 3 melon plants in the Greenhouse, one of them is thriving, the other two are looking somewhat sickly They are still throwing out new shoots which look a lot healthier, but still, they don't look happy!

The leaves appear to have turned yellow, then eventually crisp up and die. Here are a few photo's, any ideas what is up with them?

Thanks

some of it looks like water and sun damage,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

My guess would be red spider mite. Really tiny red spider like creatures. They suck the sap out causing it to shrivel. There are predatory insects you could introduce or keeping the greenhouse more humid can slow their progress. Difficult to eradicate in my experience. A sulphur candle and/or a good wash down of the greenhouse in the Autumn gets rid of any over wintering ones.
      Last edited by WendyC; 26-06-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

gav28,where are you? your plants look like mine last year when summer never came and the melons shrivelled in the greenhouse due to the constant cold,we are having better luck this year,so far....

Comment

Hi Buffs, I'm down in "sunny" Kent...yeah right :-) I do think they may be sulking due to the constant change in temperature, the leaves don't look to have any nasties on them. All very strange.

Comment

I would cut the damaged leaves off if I were you Gav.

Comment

Yellowing leaves with green veining tends to indicate iron chlorosis, which could be a simple case of your soil ph.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                Yellowing leaves with green veining tends to indicate iron chlorosis, which could be a simple case of your soil ph.
                Thanks, that is option, I wonder. I will need to get a soil tester.

Comment

What compost are they planted in Gav?

Comment

If I remember correctly, it was Homebase own brand stuff. Interestingly the 1 melon plant that is thriving was grown using stuff straight from my compost heap as an experiment :-)

Comment

Are you using any feed on them? Nutrients in shop bought compost only last for about six weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by gav28 View Post
                        If I remember correctly, it was Homebase own brand stuff. Interestingly the 1 melon plant that is thriving was grown using stuff straight from my compost heap as an experiment :-)
                        Think you may have hit the nail on the head there!

Comment

Lol, yup feeding them with Miracle Grow :-)

I noticed that the soil is rather wet and reading up about iron chlorosis it appears that over-wet soil can inhibit the take up of iron. Will let them dry out a bit and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

You can see it in the other leaves that haven't gone brown. Easy on watering a good idea.
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X