Itchy with strawbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy with strawbs

I've been picking my strawbs this morning and noticed that my hands have been really itchy afterwards, it has happened two or three times now. Anyone else get this too??

Are you ok eating them? Could be the hairs on the plant causing it.
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
    If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Interesting one. I used to get itchy but not now! I don't know what has made a difference. It could be that now I have hayfever and take medication for that it has reduced my allergic response to the leaves. Or it could be I have different varieties of strawberries which are less hairy. Or I've just become immune. Runner bean leaves used to make me itch too but not been picking any yet this year to see if they still do. I've never had a problem eating strawberries. Seemed to be worse when picking in strong sunshine.
      Last edited by WendyC; 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Keep a close eye on your symptoms would be my advice and maybe talk to your doctor. My daughter went from itchy to full blown allergy (anaphalaxis) in about three weeks. She couldn't even handle a bag that someone had put pick and mix into without having a minor reaction. Suddenly, after about four months it all went away and she is back eating strawberries. Doctors say could have been triggered by a response in her immune system to a virus.

Your hayfever drug probably does make the difference Wendy as she took Piriton as a first step before the epi-pen.

(The Vine doesn't do medical advice.)
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

If it's not an allergy to strawbs, I wonder if it could be chiggers? Trombiculidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I'm fine eating them, it's the leaves giving me a short lived itch with a few raised spots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X