Fruit growing next year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit growing next year

Hi all, I have decided that next year I need to invest in a fruit cage (if needed?) and grow fruit because I went to adds before and before I knew it my basket was £20 just on basic fruits, any advice for a beginner? Thanks

First of all decide what sort of fruit you want to grow - then come back on here and ask for advice on growing it

A fruit cage may not be necessary.

Comment

I find whitecurrants, alpine strawberries and autumn-fruiting varieties of raspberries don't need a fruit cage.

Most fruit which ripens in June-July will be devoured by birds because it's their first fresh fruit of the year. Maincrop strawberries, cherries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, blueberries and summer-fruiting raspberries need netting to protect from birds.

Some of the early apples and pears (ripening July through to mid-August) will also come under attack for the same reason. Mid-season and late-season apples and pears are often mostly left alone.

Fruit which ripens from late August onwards is less appealing to the birds because there's often a lot more fruit around at that time, and the birds have already feasted on the June-July fruits.
      Last edited by FB.; 12-07-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
        fruit which ripens in June-July will be devoured by birds because it's their first fresh fruit of the year.
        ... and because they're frantically feeding babies. Unprotected fruit is easier pickings than digging up insects

I love the birds. I keep my strawbs netted, but chuck the slug-nibbled & slightly mouldy ones out for the blackbirds
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X