cool now runnings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool now runnings

as of yesterday we picked the first basinful of this years blackcurrants,so 4 big ice cream tubs gone straight in the freezer,4 as hand made ice cream(her indoors,brilliant),and 2 of an ice cream maker,and about the same again to be picked yet,and they taste really good..
    Last edited by BUFFS; 15-07-2013, 03:59 PM.

Blackcurrant jam, bubbling at this moment, so many, tomorrow will make ice cream, didn't have all ingredients today. The bushes hardly look as if any have been picked, and this is their first year.
    DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
      Blackcurrant jam, bubbling at this moment, so many, tomorrow will make ice cream, didn't have all ingredients today. The bushes hardly look as if any have been picked, and this is their first year.
      we never had much luck making jam so i have to put up with ice cream with 4-5 times the amount of fruit in it as commercial brands,i know,you are all feeling sorry for me now,but i will be brave and endure it...

Comment

We don't really eat much jam! But I like making it! My grandson will enjoy it, and at least it's pure and not full of rubbish!
        DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
          We don't really eat much jam! But I like making it! My grandson will enjoy it, and at least it's pure and not full of rubbish!
          good for you,give them decent honest goodness,power to your elbow..and yes,you spend ages picking and there seems just as much left....not complaining though...
          Last edited by BUFFS; 15-07-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

we have picked our blackcurrants now and even with the cold spring,its been a bumper crop,big 6ft freezer now nearly full of produce with the main crops still to come,still,not complaining as the weather has really brought on the heat needing plants,figs,melons,chillies etc.will we be talking about 2013 as we still talk of the summer of 76?,i hope so,that means more sunhine to come....this is our first hot period since 2006 and i dont want to wait as long again..
            Last edited by BUFFS; 23-07-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
              ice cream(her indoors,brilliant),and 2 of an ice cream maker
              Do you have any favoured TnT recipes? I've just bought an ice cream maker, specifically to deal with the blackcurrant & raspberry glut
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Do you have any favoured TnT recipes? I've just bought an ice cream maker, specifically to deal with the blackcurrant & raspberry glut
                I bought an icecream maker a couple of weeks ago, have used it almost every day since! It's fantastic, and you know that you are eating 'real fruit,'. I started by making the recipes in the little leaflet it came with, strawberry, raspberry, banana, blackcurrant, etc, but have now purchased a little book called Ice Cream Made Easy, by Annette Yates, was £4.99 Amazon, would recommend it, easier than looking online. Melon and Lime sorbet, yum, ( not home grown!) but v nice with the raspberries that were !

DottyR
                DottyR

Comment

That's the one that came with the machine, but it doesn't have a recipe for blackcurrants
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE=Two_Sheds;1153881]That's the one that came with the machine, but it doesn't have a recipe for blackcurrants[/QUOTE
                    here is the recipe that OH uses,these are the basic amounts,but she usually doubles up,or more. at least 150gm of fruit,we just bung a load in.
                    cook the fruit in their own juices,with just a splash of water to stop them burning initially,let them cool a bit and blitz them in a blender,let them go cold.
                    1/2 cup (120ml) double cream
                    1/2 cup (120ml) milk
                    1/2 cup (60gr) granulated sugar
                    recipe
                    mix the milk and sugar
                    beat double cream in a container
                    mix the mixture and double cream and stir fruit well into it
                    now put it into your ice cream maker and set it going,you can just put it into the freezer but it tends to settle a bit and goes really solid(you would need to take it out of the freezer 1/2 hr before ) but still tastes great...gordon ramsey? or gordon blue:
                    we just used the last kilo of blackcurrants to make some jam,and just to be awkward,it has come out lovely for once,we dont usually do any good with jams,but this one is brill
                    Last edited by BUFFS; 25-07-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

after the successful jam making,OH is out there now picking a load of raspberries,no more room in the big freezer,must eat more,already over 10 tubs of fruit and ice cream in there...looks like a lot of jam sarnies for me,especially when i am in the doghouse,yes folks,i said when,not if..

Comment

Gosh you're right! How strange, the recipe I used for blackcurrant, is BBC Goodfood, one and calls itself healthier! Uses low fat custard and thick single cream, I found it online. If you can't find
                        it and would like it, let me know, they call it 'sorbet like icecream!'

DottyR
                        DottyR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X