Blackberry got the chop

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry got the chop

I came outside yesterday to find my husband weeding (he knows nothing about plants) and to my horror found he had cut down my blackberry bush. He thought it was a "prickly thorn bush". He hasn't dug the roots up just cut it down just below ground level. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to grow back. The fruits were just starting to appear so i'm really gutted.
    Last edited by sam82smith; 18-07-2013, 04:43 PM.

Yes it will come back; however you can always just pick wild ones this year.

Comment

Blackberries are very difficult to get rid of. I have one or two where I don't want them but can't get to the roots to dig them out; I hack the life out of them every year or two but they always come back, although it can take some months before they reappear.
      Fruiting will usually take two years after cutting down because most blackberries fruit from shoots which grow out of woody stems which are at least two years old. So don't expect fruit until 2015.

Comment

Phew, i thought i'd lost it. That's the hubby out the dog house ;-)

Comment

You need to tell him he has killed a very rare and valuable plant, and that only a £50 garden centre gift voucher will console you
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I like your thinking Two sheds. Think i might push him for a greenhouse instead ;-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X