Grape vine - pruning advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape vine - pruning advice

Ok, so I know the world of grape vine pruning is a complex one but this is my first year grape in a container growing up my pergola. The intention is to have a 'roof' of fruit and foliage but this obviously takes a few years. I want some advice as to how to treat this first year plant. Opinions on the web seem to vary from "leave it completely", to "stop the leader" to "prune all laterals". Can anyone advise,in fairly simple terms please?

Attached Files

I would leave it for this year, let it grow.

I would be a bit worried about having a grapevine in a container though - can't you plant it in the ground at the base of the pergola?

Comment

Not very easily rustylady. I bought it from Read's nursery and Stephen advised that this type would be fine in a container if kept well fed and watered. Not ideal I know, but it has done well this year.

Comment

If its of any help to you,i have 2 growing in flower buckets,with a tray of water undernieth,i personally would not let it continue with the pot on its side,a lot harder to water,especialy in this heat,also,when the time comes to put it in it's permanent place,it will be bent on the stem,like you i have yet to sort a permanent place,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

It's the picture on its side - not the pot! Just couldn't figure out how to rotate it!

Comment

Originally posted by ourarka View Post
            It's the picture on its side - not the pot! Just couldn't figure out how to rotate it!
            Open up the picture.
            Tilt head.
            Easy...
            Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

.........or
              Open up the picture,
              Pick up laptop
              Turn on its side
              (Don't forget to put it back down before attempting to use the keyboard)

Comment

DOH,silly me,now you know the heat has affected me,now i have tilted my head,i see the full picture,thanks girls,as RL says then,
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Your advice was so delicately put Lottie, considering you were probably thinking what a daftie for putting the pot on its side - especially the bit about it being a lot harder to water I'm still chuckling about it now - in fact there are tears running down my cheeks Thank you

Comment

Winter pruning of vines from infancy to the fourth year | urban wine grower

Comment

Right, I've finally given in to the weight of advice and decided to move this vine in to the ground on the other side of the pergola. Can anyone advise if this is a good time to do it, and what special measures (soil preparation etc) should be done?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X