Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving fruit bushes at this time of year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving fruit bushes at this time of year?

I need to move the fruit bushes from my back garden its like a jungle out there.

Black currants have finished fruiting, Its now starting to block my path up the garden, Getting rather wide. Will this survive being moved?
    Its a few years old now and a decent size.

Next will be the raspberries which are still fruiting. But can i move these before winter sets in also?

Then we have rhubarb and 2 varieties of thornless blackberries. One the standard sized fruit and the other a large variety.

Can you tell im not an expert, Labels are long gone

Thanks

I would say DONT. The chances are that if you move them now they will die. The best time to move them is when they are dormant, that is in the early winter or early spring.

If the Black currant is encroaching on the path cut it back and root the younger growth then you will have even more! The Black berries can be rooted from layers so if when you move them they don't survive you have replacements.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

My advice would be "no".

The weather is too hot and dry - their roots will be damaged by digging-out and then the roots will struggle to meet the water needs of the plants.
      The bigger and older the plants, the less they will tolerate root disturbance.

But it sounds like you're determined to go ahead and are looking for "confirmation", so if you do dig them out, please take some pictures to show us - and others - how badly affected the plants are, about two weeks after being moved. My guess is that two weeks after moving, most of the leaves will be brown and crispy - the death of the leaves being so sudden that they don't even get a chance to fall off.

Comment

Ive moved plants round in Bulgaria in June last year in the middle of a drought, most are still alive

The ones that died were watered by the rain like all the other plants....in a drought we got about 5 minutes of very very light rain every few evenings , the ones that are alive were watered twice a day for half an hour by a automatic watering pipe direct to the floor by the plants , with the watering they lived, plants not disturbed were fine without watering

If you need to move them its better to wait a month or so till September at least, it should be a bit cooler then
        If you need to move them now water often before and after you move them and shade them from the sun with some dark colour fleece or black plastic held about a meter above them to let air cool them underneath but keep direct sun off the leaves

Best not to move them till the winter though
        Last edited by starloc; 22-07-2013, 10:50 AM.
        Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I really need to move them fairly soon. Waiting for winter is not really an option.

Needs to be done before the college kids go back. My trusty helpers

Its not the end of the world if they dont survive. Moving them is more important.

I dread to think how big the blackcurrant bushes roots are. Its got rather large.

The blackberry bush is a thornless variety. But where it has rerooted they have thorns.

Trimmed a fair bit of the currant bush back today. Will that help it survive or just prolong its death?

Comment

We had quite a lot of rain with the thunderstorms overnight, so with the soil now damp you might have the best chance of success if you do it in the next day or two.
            There is still a risk to the plants though - make sure they are well-watered for the first couple of days and subject to how wet the soil; be prepared to continue watering every couple of days after that for the first week or two.
            Last edited by FB.; 23-07-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Where are you moving them to?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                Where are you moving them to?
                Just reminded me: the area where the plants will be going should be fully prepared with weeds cleared and holes ready-dug before the plants are dug out, so the plants can be dug out and replanted as quickly as possible.
                Even better, only dig out one plant at a time and get it replanted and well-watered before starting on the next one.
                If they must be moved as a batch, dig them all up but put their roots into a sack of wet compost or even a bucket of water - although I am less enthusiastic about the bucket of water when it comes to trees such as apples, which can "drown" (lack of oxygen) or become infected with root-rotting fungi, if they spend more than a few hours in water.
                Last edited by FB.; 23-07-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

with the storms moving up country,i find it the ideal time to move blackcurrants,i was going to give mine a soaking today(but its tipping down)leave them for 24hrs,then move them,i did it with a dwarf philadelphus the other week,in all the heat,i lifted it,split it into 4 and put it into pots for now,all four are looking healthy,i was told that soaking them reduces the stress on the plant when moving it,and it seems to work okay,moving mine tomorrow,to more accessible spots,with bad balance last week i went headfirst thru one bush,and never tasted a fruit as i went thru,i promise,dont like the taste of dirt though...

Comment

Moving them to the allotment. So holes are ready, Nice and big with a good layer of compost / manure nice and deep.

We can take as much soil as we need with the roots. Only the weight will be the limiting factor.

So do i trim it right back before moving?

Thanks.

Comment

moved the fruit after that drop of rain we had,i dont think they have noticed yet....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X