Moving raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving raspberries

Hi all, need some help about my autumn fruiting raspberries. My plot has gone quite well this year and they have produced quite a bit if fruit. However, they are in completely the wrong place for next years (and long term) plan. Can the current canes be moved? If so when would you advise and how?? Many thanks for any help anyone has!!!

Just cut them all the way down at the end of the autumn and move them to where you want them to go, taking as much root as you can.

Keep an eye on them next year (water if it gets too dry, keep the weeds under control), they'll give you a reasonable crop next year and be back to full vigour the year after.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thanks Martin H. Will do exactly that.

Comment

Are you sure they are Autumn fruiting? My Summer ones have only been producing for 2 weeks.

Whereabouts are you Nick? If you add your location (nearest town) to your profile it will show on your posts and helps a lot when giving advice as climate conditions vary so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Are you sure they are Autumn fruiting? My Summer ones have only been producing for 2 weeks.
          Peculiarly, my Autumn Bliss, about a week ago, began ripening the first fruits on the new growth.
          However, there are still many raspberries on those plants which won't be ready for several weeks - the higher (younger) parts of the canes are still flowering.

I wondered if I'd forgotten to cut some canes down when I saw the maroon-coloured raspberries (nicely ripened too!) but the fruits were definitely on young green canes grown from underground this year.
          Last edited by FB.; 24-07-2013, 07:31 AM.

Comment

My autumn raspberry canes I didn't cut down have ripe fruits, the new growth doesn't even have flowers yet.

Comment

Recyclingnick, I would say there's no need to prune this year's growth, just move them in winter.

Comment

i have been moving my fruit about,moved 8 rasps last week,given a good soak they dont seem to mind too much..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X