Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Cordon summer pruning

Dear Forum,

I live in Edinburgh and I have 6 apple cordons growing against a south facing fence which are m26 rootstocks and are 4 or 5 years old. They have recently reached the top of the fence and this year have fairly vigorous growth. My question is when should I summer prune them? Two years a go I pruned them around early August and last year late August. Both years I've experienced secondary growth and my pruning guide book doesn't mention anything on secondary growth never mind what you're supposed to do with it..
    Any tips on when to prune would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Scott

For trained forms such as cordons, the time to prune is about now - from about mid-July to mid-August.
    I usually opt for mid-late July.

The usual procedure is to cut back the new growth which you want to fruit the following year.
    Quite harsh pruning is usually done; the new shoots being cut back to between one and five new buds, with three being the average but sometimes a couple more or less if it helps the shaping.

If the shoots re-grow, you can do a second batch of pruning, a few weeks after the first batch, to cut the excess regrowth back to 1-5 buds. Note that by pruning now, if the shoot tips grow back too strongly you will still get a second batch of pruning done by the latest ideal time of mid-August .

If growth is too vigorous, stop feeding (especially stop any nitrogen-rich feed or mulching), only water if a few leaves start to yellow during a drought, and stop winter pruning.
    Trees crop best when nitrogen and water are only just adequate. Too much of either and trees will grow well but crop poorly (including problems with bitter pit) - if over-fed they may also get canker in the late-growing vigorous growth.

Only new shoots should be cut in summer.

Older wood must be left until winter (but in the case of cordons there shouldn't be much need for winter pruning if summer pruning has been carried out annually).
    Last edited by FB.; 24-07-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

thanks. I'll wait for the next dry day and get busy with the secateurs.

Do you know if the same applies to pears?

thanks again.

Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by mc1970 View Post
        Do you know if the same applies to pears?
        Yes - apples and pears are pruned and trained in the same way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X