easy option

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy option

as my bramley seems to bear a charmed life,i have bit the bullet and bud grafted two buds from it onto what was the braeburn stem,if they take okay i will grow it as a double W type espalier and now looking forward to seeing how it goes,now all i need is patience,loads of it.....

Good luck Buffs. Will the fruit be called a Bramburn and a Braeley?

Comment

You'll probably find that the Braeburn works like a semi-dwarfing interstock, and the Bramley will have its growth reduced by cropping earlier in life than a regular Bramley on the same rootstock.

Being such a strong grower, Bramley grafts (and those of other very vigorous varieties) tend to have a good take rate, even when taken from tired old mother trees.

However, it's possible that the canker which did for the Braeburn is still dormant in the remaining wood and will break out at a later time.
      Is it possible - just to be on the safe side - to insert a couple of Bramley buds below the Braeburn/rootstock graft, so that if the Braeburn trunk starts looking cankerous you can hack it off and let the Bramley bit take over as if the rootstock was always grafted with Bramley?
      Last edited by FB.; 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X