Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peach Leaf Curl

Hi All,
    A neighbour very kindly gave me a dwarf peach tree as a wedding present recently and unfortunately I have noticed what appears to be peach leaf curl on it. Thus I am after some advice on how to eradicate it?

On searching online to the RHS site it suggests to spray with Bordeaux mixture, which I have some of and/or removing the leaves and burning. However, there is contrary advice on some youtube sites (mostly American) stating you should leave it until the autumn/leaf fall, then spray?

As an aside she bought it from Dobbies in Aberdeen. I am in a mind to call them up and tell them about it as I don't think they should have sold it to her in that state. (her not being a gardener wouldn't have known)

Any advice as to what to do at this current moment in time? Leave it till leaf fall then spray it or prune out the infected leaves and spray it now?

TIA

Malph.
    Last edited by Malph; 18-08-2013, 04:07 PM.

You could take a leaf to Dobbies and ask their advice. Or if practical take the whole plant. They might offer a replacement. I know we had a peach tree in the garden when I was a child and it always had leaf curl and never thrived. I think the variety Avalon is meant to be resistant.

Comment

If the leaves are bad I remove them, but most times I just ignore them and spray the tree , leaf curl and peaches is usual , it turns up rapidly on preach trees if outside , kept inside it wont happen but trees grow better outdoors

The leaves spread the spores , that's why its best to remove them, if you remove them and spray it will go under control

I don't use Bordeaux mix, but most things work, I use bayer fruit and veg fungicide

In winter its best to keep them in a green house or just cover the top to stop rain dropping in them in winter and spray them before the leaves fall off , so the infected leaves don't spread it round , spray in spring before they flower in February or so, and then I spray often until winter

Its not going to have been on the tree when bought , but it will turn up rapidly as soon as its warm and damp if not sprayed
      Last edited by starloc; 18-08-2013, 05:58 PM.
      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

mine gets leaf curl, I do spray with Bordeaux mixture cos thats what you do here (for everything) but sparingly. I still get peaches
        Attached Files
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Grow it in a greenhouse.

Comment

Hi,
            thanks all. I will remove the leaves and spray now, then put it in my greenhouse as I had intended.
            Will follow up with a call to Dobbies regardless.

malph.

Comment

I wouldn't bother. You don't know how long she had it before she gave it to you, and peach leaf curl is caused by rain borne fungus.

Comment

after 6 years of trying to control peach leaf curl ,looks like my 8 feet peach tree has died , grew nornal at start of year , then massive leaf curl, rermoved all leaves , then anew growth started all ok , then all the new leaves wilted and fell off looks terminal now .... not good !!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X