What to plant with strawberries??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to plant with strawberries??

Ok, so I've transplanted all my runners, I'm setting them up in baskets ready for next year as I seem to be pretty good at keeping strawb plants over winter - but I want to add a bit of something to the baskets, could I add a mint to the basket? I have various types of mint and was thinking maybe adding a chocolate mint to 1 of the baskets, as they hang near my back door so I would get the smell from the mint and the beauty of the strawbs...... Any suggestions?

I was also thinking of adding some muscari armeniacum bulbs into 1 of the baskets, to give a lovely purple contrast to the strawbs?

Comment

Not mint - too pushy What about salad leaves - cut and come again type?

Comment

I did think of salad leaves - some of those I got this morning perhaps lol - but could I sow those in now?

Comment

Oh wait, I just read the pack and answered my own question there - not til next year lol. I'll sow some salad in my greenhouse soon though

Comment

I wouldn't plant mint, it's very vigorous and will swamp the strawberries. Grape hyacinths also are quite strong growers, although I don't know the particular variety you have mentioned. Crocuses would not interfere with the strawberries as they will have come and gone before the strawberries get going.

Comment

Ohhh so that's what those flowers are - there's me tryin to he all posh using the proper name lol!!

Not too keen on crocuses to be honest, I'll have to have a think....

Comment

So did you find that the strawbs cropped well in a basket?

(I've never found them to do very well: I def. wouldn't share the space, unless it was something that was done & over before May or after Aug, when the strawbs had finished)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yeah two sheds I did get quite a few strawbs from my 1 basket, to be honest we have such a nightmare with slugs and squirrels round here it's my only choice! But yeah I was happy with what I got and so next year I'll have 3 times as much and be even happier

I think I will just leave them be - until I get a bit more experienced in gardening

Comment

The best candidates for companion planting strawberries are herbs. The most recommended is Borage because it is an excellent deterrent of insects that prey on strawberries. It is also a very potent drawer of pollinators that helps attract predators that eat insects harmful to strawberry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X