Ashmeads Kernel.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashmeads Kernel.

Hi, I am thinking of planting this autumn, a 2yr old semi dwarf stock Ashmeads Kernel, and wondered if anyone had any experience/advice on this variety? Many thanks.

This post should be in Feeling Fruity, there you will certainly get an expert review on it.

Comment

Classed as triploid so you will need another to pollinate it.
      It will not pollinate another - pollen is sterile.

That is what 3 sources say.

Nice apple, can be a bit small and will not have large crops.
      Appears to have the characteristic tang of a pearmain type - pear drops, but not the same shape.

Being triploid I would expect the growth to be reasonably vigorous.

Comment

Triploid.
        Large and attractive blossoms.
        Fairly vigorous - more than average but less than Bramley.
        Excellent flavour even in cool/dull summers.
        Moderate crops; not biennial but somewhat variable.
        Good pest and disease resistance.
        Tolerates difficult conditions - grows and crops well in soils where other varieties fail - including coping well in chalk soils if the rootstock is also tolerant.
        Prone to bitter pit on acid soils, on fertile soils, if over-fed with nitrogen or on dwarf rootstocks if not correctly cared-for.
        Like many old varieties it is at its best when grown as a large tree on a very vigorous rootstock under grass cover or on low-fertility soils.

A variety that I would not be without because of the "plant-and-forget" way that I prefer to grow my trees.

Comment

It would not make AK my first apple tree, as I think the flavour and texture are too far removed from the mainstream. If you want a simple crisp sweet/sharp apple ... this is not it. I would try to find some AK apples first to make sure I liked them, it's an acquired taste.

Once you get to like it though, AK is quite addictive.

This is a good variety for juicing - if you like apple juice it is a real winner, the juice is very fruity. I think it is also popular for cider too.

Comment

I have a couple of AKs, both on MM106, around 5 and 10 years old. The older tree was recently struck with canker, requiring major surgery and a failed attempt at cleft grafting the cut limb. They make vigorous growth and have yielded only modestly for me, probably because I have not pruned them appropriately to maximise the production of fruiting buds. Leaves are usually very healthy and they don't seem to suffer from scab, but I have found some codling moth infected fruit. Earwigs are also a problem because the fruit clusters are held very tightly against the stem , providing ideal hiding places for them. A few fruit crack around the stalk each year. Apart from these minor problems the quality and size are good. But whilst I understand why they are held in high regard in terms of flavour, personally I'm not a real fan. So I'd second orangepippin's comments.
            Last edited by boundtothesoil; 13-09-2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

I planted Ashmeads Kernel about twenty years ago. Its a good late apple and keeps well but not my best, not quite juicy enough to me, a bit like a later Egremont Russet. I have insect damage problems with the fruit too, but its a big tree with a large enough crop to ignore that. Alongside it, the Orleans Reinette I planted at the same time is beginning to ripen now and I prefer it of the two, though its earlier and doesn't keep as well, its more interesting and versatile.

Comment

Thanks to, Pineberry, Kirk, FB, Orangepippin, Boundtothesoil, & Yummersetter for your responses to my recent query Ashmeads Kernel.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X