Summer Fruiting Raspberries.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Fruiting Raspberries.

In November 2012 I planted 10 each of the following varieties, Glen Clova, Malling Jewel, & Tullameen. Only 3 of Glen Clova made a little growth, the remainder died off, (the supplier has agreed to replace them this Autumn) the others all gave 100% success, Correct me if Im wrong but I was expecting these to make growth this year for cropping in 2014, then after cropping I should cut down the canes and tie in 2014 new growth for these to crop in 2015. What has happened this summer & to date, the plants have fruited. Do I leave these canes & will they crop again next year, or may there have been a mix up & they are Autumn fruiters?? Many thanks.

Malling Jewel is definitely a summer fruiting raspberry as I grow it myself. Yes if it has fruited this year you should cut out the one brown canes and tie in the new green canes for next summer.
    Having said that some of my new canes have fruited already this year probably I guess due to the long spell of good weather.
    Last edited by WendyC; 13-09-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Do you have new green canes growing?

Comment

Hi WendyC, Many thanks for your response, unfortunately I have no new green growth to tie in, just this years growth which has fruited, so will have to tie these in and see what happens next year, as you suggest it may be the weather that caused early fruiting.

Comment

Hi Rustylady, Unfortunately not.

Comment

When did they fruit? Summer fruiters are June/July, Autumn ones into August. If the canes grew and fruited all in one season that suggests Autumn fruiting. New shoots won't appear til the spring. Might be a case of wait and see what happens then.

Comment

Hi, Again Wendy C, they fruited from about end of July (a few) then August, & I picked a some this afternoon, there are still some unripe ones. This applies to both Malling Jewel & Tullameen. So will have to wait and see!!

Comment

Both Malling Jewel and Tullameen are listed as summer fruiting varieties.

Did they have long canes when you planted them, or has all the growth been this year?

Comment

My advice. Only chop down canes that have already given you fruit. Leave the rest.

Comment

Hi rustylady, the canes were approx. 18" before planting ,then after planting I cut back to between 4 to 6", so all the growth has been this year. My dilemma is, if they are summer fruiters and I cut them down this year, it will be 2015 before they should crop.

Comment

Hi zazen999, Thanks for your advice, I have had some fruit off all, so would have to give them all the chop!!

Comment

I suspect you have varieties that are autumn then, and they got mixed up somewhere along the line.

Comment

Hi zazen999, Yes, as I mentioned in my query, I also thought there could have been a possible mix up. Many thanks for your replies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X