Seeing it go to waste :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing it go to waste :(

Every day on the way to school I drive past a plum tree that's drooping over a fence and dropping its untouched fruit on the pavement. Isn't it horrible seeing unpicked fruit go to waste? I know the birds and bugs will make the most of it, but it almost hurts to see it not being picked. I can't really stop and pick someone else's fruit. There's an apple tree a bit further along that looks untouched. I feel the same when I see elderflower and berries ignored. Not much you can do though, is there?
    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

If its dropping on the pavement, surely you can pick it up?

I agree with you, such a shame

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
    DottyR

Comment

We have a project called Orchard Cardiff - and there are similar ones throughout the UK. If we see fruit going to waste in a garden, there is a leaflet that can be dropped through the letterbox of the owner, inviting them to have their fruit picked for them. The tree owner can keep whatever fruit they want and the rest is donated to Fareshare or some other deserving charity.
      See if there is anything like that near you Mrs C

Comment

Wow VC, that's an amazing idea. I might pitch it to, um, well, I wonder who I would pitch it to? I'll think about that. It puts me in mind of the gleaning 'movement' I read about recently: a farmer lets it be known he has a field of whatever about to go to waste for whatever reason, and an army of gleaners turns up to pick it and use it for whatever purpose, including redistributing to people who could really benefit from it.

Dorothy no I can't really, sadly. It's not easy to stop on the main drag there, there's not much room and you block the traffic. From what I've seen as I've gone past the fruit is smashing as it hits the ground so I'd be scraping it up with a spoon
        Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Here's a list of some of the Abundance Projects. Groups | ABUNDANCE NETWORK I don't know where you live but there's one in East Herefordshire
          Its much like the gleaning movement but on a much smaller scale. The principles are much the same - to stop food going to waste and redistributing it to those in need.

Comment

I'm in the north of the county, but I know someone at Caplor so might have a word with him about getting something going out here. Thanks so much for the tip, though I'm really surprised I hadn't heard about it already.

Comment

Have a look at your local Transition group - I searched on Leominster Transition Nearby | Transition Network
              You may find some contacts there.

Comment

At my doctors' surgery there are two beautiful, abundant cherry trees. Both have big 'DO NOT PICK' signs on them. I could understand if they had plans for them but every year they just rot. Seems crazy when doctors, who should surely be advocating 'five a day', let a free source of fruit go to waste
                I was feeling part of the scenery
                I walked right out of the machinery
                My heart going boom boom boom
                "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                I've come to take you home."

Comment

The plot opposite me is barely tended. They did however plant some runner beans. While is was really hot and dry (remember then!!) I felt sorry for the beans and watered them. Have the plot holders come to pick the beans - no. Why have they got a plot?

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                    The plot opposite me is barely tended. They did however plant some runner beans. While is was really hot and dry (remember then!!) I felt sorry for the beans and watered them. Have the plot holders come to pick the beans - no. Why have they got a plot?
                    could it be that they did a "runner"?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                      I can't really stop and pick someone else's fruit.
                      You can, if it's overhanging onto public property (a pavement)
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There are two untended plots near me and one had such a plethora of rhubarb this year, with its owners not seen for nearly a year, that I leaned over the fence and picked a dozen stalks. A week later I reoffended. A few days later my heart sank to see that their plot had been visited... and tidied...and replanted... do you think a few swedes and a handful of runners would help heal my breach of allotment etiquette?
                        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I don't know why you don't knock the door and ask if you can pick some...that's my intention later this year to hopefully get hold of some quince...

I picked apples and plums this morning from a freecycle pick your own offer

Comment

i think all this is a brilliant idea, i have never heard of gleaning before and it sounds a wonderful idea, one problem, the farmers around here will shoot you (maybe not go as far as shoot you) if they find you have walked off the foot path, we have one mean farmers around here who can't bear the thought of anyone walking on their land let alone might be getting something for nothing, they would rather let it rot.
                            but i think all of this is a brilliant idea, i take all my extra produce and give it away to friends at work.
                            spread the love and share your left overs.
                            Rita

Comment

More about the Gleaning network here Feeding the 5k Rita. Its all arranged with the farmer first so no worries about getting shot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X