Black currant bush

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black currant bush

I recently bought a black currant bush - well it looks like a few twigs - would this be ok to plant in a large pot rather than in the ground?
    . We are quite short of space, in fact the only place in the garden would be very close to the bird feeders, so I don't want to grow these for the birds to have a takeaway on their doorstep

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
    Nannys make memories

It's possible, but like you say you'd need a big pot (think 2 1/2 foot wide and 2 foot deep minimum) because they grow pretty high and wide.

Comment

It ought to have leaves on at the moment.

Plant it wherever you like - you can move them during winter (when dormant) or you can take cuttings (usually when the leaves are mostly yellow). Cuttings don't need any special treatment - just chop a bit off and push it part-way into the ground. Currants grow quite quickly so you can make a replica of the parent bush within a few years (feed and water if you want to make it grow faster).

Comment

Many thanks guys, there are no leaves so I will look for signs of life before I put it into a giant pot

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
        Nannys make memories

Comment

I planted out a new black current bush last spring time and it didn't grow at all, it's in normal soil in my boarder next to raspberry bushes(which bloomed this year). I know it's alive as it has a few green shoots on it, but no branches or stems. My sister grows them and like the other person said on this forum they do grow quite big, so to get the best out of your bush you need a very big pot to grow it in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X