Black currant cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black currant cuttings

Is this weekend the best time to take and plant black currant cuttings? and is the advice here good and is there anything you would add or change about it? How to Grow Blackcurrants from Cuttings - GardenFocused.co.uk
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sounds about right to me. You can also do the same with redcurrants, jostaberries, gooseberries and the like.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Sounds like good advice for blackcurrant cuttings on that page. I took a look at it and it even allows you to adjust the date for taking cuttings according to where you live. Your town is Redhill which is reasonably warm for the UK and the date seems spot on, it also seems OK for where I live.

My only advice would be to make the cut at the top of the cutting a slanting one so that rain drops run off the top of the cutting rather than settle there.

Comment

I take my cuttings when I harvest the fruits. Harvesting & pruning at the same time, then plant the pruned branches

You can also root them in water, though it's a bit more hit-and-miss. I've had a 40% success rate this year with cuttings in water
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yeah, I cut mine back when I harvested the fruits, which was back in July or so? Mine fruited early, apparently. I now have a dozen cuttings that have had plenty of warm time to both root and put out some small leaves.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I have taken 9 cuttings and put 4 in pots and 5 in the ground, time will tell how they do. Does anyone know when I should see the 1st signs of life from them I assume in spring but can't find any info on this at all.

Comment

They should start putting out leaves in Spring Simon.

Comment

Thank you, will have to wait and see how they do. I read one page saying they soaked there cuttings in dilute bleach to sterilise them , sounds weird to me has anyone else heard of this?

Comment

I've heard of using bleach but never tried it. I usually just stick my fruit bush prunings straight into a slit trench in the ground and leave them to it.

Comment

I just stick them in the floor as well, often around christmas I chop things down, stuff them into the almost frozen floor by poking the branch in , and they grow , any from the end of the branches tend to flower and hold a few fruit that year,

I often do whole branches around a meter long and they are fine with no treatment at all

I do roses and all the currents at the same time and most (over 99%) of cuttings grow

No need for bleach on them, I use it on some things and it will be fine on them, I use bleach for things I am growing under lights in agar jelly with nutrients as bacteria grows well in those conditions, not outside cuttings though
                    Last edited by starloc; 21-10-2013, 04:22 PM.
                    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X