Fruit order this autumn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit order this autumn

I have a south facing wall that I want to use to grow fruit. I want to grow apples, gages and cherries. My neighbour has an apple tree so I am hoping that will help with pollination. So bearing that in mind do the trees I have decided on (after much deliberation) seem sensible?

So here they are:

Apple Egremont Russet M26 2 Year Cordon

Plum Cambridge Gage St Julien A 1 Year Maiden

Plum Oullins Gage St Julien A 2 Year Fan Trained

Cherry Stella Gisela 5 2 Year Fan Trained

Looks like an OK choice, although you only have one apple tree, a mid-season russet. If it were me, I'd probably sacrifice one of the plums for an tasty early apple variety like Discovery, which should also yield pretty consistently. I've found that Oullin's Gage, although producing lovely fruit, is a very unpredictable cropper. This year I had none, although Victoria and Czar plums cropped reasonably well. I think that getting a decent regular crop of fruit is as an important objective as growing the tastiest varieties, although it should be possible to combine the two.

It might be worth looking at a few of the detailed discussions of varieties for planting, posted on this forum over the last few months.
    Last edited by boundtothesoil; 22-10-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie24 View Post
      I have a south facing wall that I want to use to grow fruit. I want to grow apples, gages and cherries. My neighbour has an apple tree so I am hoping that will help with pollination. So bearing that in mind do the trees I have decided on (after much deliberation) seem sensible?

So here they are:

Apple Egremont Russet M26 2 Year Cordon

Plum Cambridge Gage St Julien A 1 Year Maiden

Plum Oullins Gage St Julien A 2 Year Fan Trained

Cherry Stella Gisela 5 2 Year Fan Trained
      Have you had a chance to taste each variety?
      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
      William M. Davies

Comment

A good choice of plums. Lapins is worth considering instead of Stella.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X