Plum trees..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plum trees..

I would like to have a plum tree on my plot. My soil is heavyish clay. The area where I would like it to go have been the muck heap for the past 3 year's so the soil is much better then I thought it would be. I have done a little bit of reading up on them. I don't want a huge one I think its a st juila sp?? rootstock size I need. Im going to the local GC at the weekend to start looking before choosing one too fast!! Now would it be a good idea to add some sharpe sand to help drainage? Can it be planted now if I get one this weekend or wait until end of Nov?? The area gets the sun quite a bit thoughout the day would this be enough??

I like Victora plums there is so many others ones that I havnt even heard off!!
    Thanks

Victoria is not a bad one to start with, on St. Julien rootstock it will get to around 10ft-12ft eventually.

Some of the newer varieties are worth considering - Haganta, or Excalibur, or Avalon, or Jubilee. These often have better flavours than Victoria for eating fresh, although for cooking Victoria is hard to beat.

If you get one this weekend it would have to be container-grown one, as given the very mild weather it is unlikely bare-root trees will be available until late November.

Comment

OP thanks would it be best to wait untill Nov? Im in no rush to get one Im trying to understand as much as possable about their needs etc before I rush into getting one and killing it!!

Comment

Just remember the rootstocks VVA-1 (Krymsk) and Pixy for a more dwarfing effect. VVA-1 is the more dwarfing of the two, and I have Blue Tit on Pixy and Opal on VVA-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
        Garden Chris

Comment

Originally posted by orangepippin View Post
          Victoria is not a bad one to start with, on St. Julien rootstock
          I had one of those as a free gift from a major seed supplier.

Turned out to be President, not Victoria, and it's fruit is delicious but I've only had 3 plums off it in 4 years
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X