Does anybody here grow rhubarb 'Livingstone'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody here grow rhubarb 'Livingstone'

This is advertised as an autumn rhubarb, which I think I would like to try.

Before I dive in and buy them .. as anybody here tried this variety and can you please comment on your findings, regarding yield and taste.

thank you

No, sorry. I only replied so you didn't think we were ignoring you.

Comment

I haven't but I've considered it http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...arb_67862.html

Comment

Hi VC

I noticed the last comment on the topic in your link where the plant is being criticised for producing flower heads and thin stems.
        I would assume that a plant behaving in that way is suffering from:

1. Too many stems being pulled in recent years, weakening the plant.
        - or -
        2. The soil nutrient levels (especially nitrogen) are too low.
        - or -
        3. The soil is getting too dry too often in summer.
        - or -
        4. It may be diseased, such as crown rot.

I keep my rhubarb well-fed with compost mulches around it, and I grow it in a semi-shade spot to reduce the soil-drying effect of lots of direct sun. As a result, my rhubarb never flowers.
        I don't grow 'Livingstone' so can't comment on it, but I do grow Timperley Early and Victoria.
        In my soil, Timperley Early is earlier to give usable stems and more productive.

It should be remembered that any plant that flowers (or "bolts") is signalling that it is stressed and is preparing to reproduce before it dies - although in reality the plant usually survives.
        On the other hand, a plant which produces lots of growth and doesn't flower is telling you that it is very happy indeed. And since it is the stems of the leaves that we want from rhubarb (not flowers), we want the plant to be very happy.
        But when it comes to fruit trees, we want flowers which will become fruit, so we need our fruit tree to be slightly unhappy. As I'd said before: dwarf rootstocks on fruit trees work largely due to semi-incompatibility and the poorer sap exchange between the two grafted pieces, which makes both pieces a little unhappy and encourages the tree to produce flowers and fruit as a result of its unhappiness.
        Last edited by FB.; 23-01-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X