Dwarf apple tree care

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf apple tree care

My 'free' dwarf apple tree just arrived I've re potted it into a 15ltr pot for now as we plan to move next year to somewhere more permanent. Does anyone have any tips for initial care, is it ok to go strait outdoors or do I need to harden it off? Any organic feeds needed? Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

I'd stick it outside now, water it well if not already done, and leave it there, provided there are no really severe frosts in the first few days. It shouldn't have any leaves and they don't need encouraging just yet.

You don't say what soil/compost you've potted it with. I use a 50:50 mix of topsoil and general purpose compost. Many general purpose composts claim to supply nutrients for around six weeks. This is enough to get the tree going and encourage the roots to explore their limited world. After that I guess you could apply 10-20g of blood, fish & bone (5:5:6.5, N:P:K) or some other organic equivalent to take the tree through the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by boundtothesoil View Post
      I'd stick it outside now, water it well if not already done, and leave it there, provided there are no really severe frosts in the first few days. It shouldn't have any leaves and they don't need encouraging just yet.

You don't say what soil/compost you've potted it with. I use a 50:50 mix of topsoil and general purpose compost. Many general purpose composts claim to supply nutrients for around six weeks. This is enough to get the tree going and encourage the roots to explore their limited world. After that I guess you could apply 10-20g of blood, fish & bone (5:5:6.5, N:P:K) or some other organic equivalent to take the tree through the first year.
      Thanks i did a mix of all purpose compost and the garden soil we had left thanks for the tip about the blood fish and bone!

Comment

It depends a bit on the age of the tree and rootstock, but 15L might not be big enough, 40L-60L would be better - even if you are planning to plant out next winter.

Comment

Originally posted by orangepippin View Post
          It depends a bit on the age of the tree and rootstock, but 15L might not be big enough, 40L-60L would be better - even if you are planning to plant out next winter.
          Thanks it's a tiny sprig of a tree at the moment looks like my son just stuck a twig in a pot lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X