can cordon fruit tree be retrained?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can cordon fruit tree be retrained?

Morning all. I recently ordered a pear tree online which was delivered yesterday. It turns out I have ordered a cordon by mistake (seriouly, senior moment there!) rather than the drawfing tree I thought I was getting. As its headed for the allotment anyway its no big issue, but was just wondering if it could be retrained into more of a bush type tree or if it is now "committed" to a cordon shape. It will be grown in open ground (staked) and I read that cordons do better against a wall.
    Any advice appreciated!
    Last edited by w33blegurl; 28-03-2014, 05:31 AM.
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Can you post a picture? That will help a lot. It would be possible but the success will depend on the current shape, and what is the rootstock?
    The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
    William M. Davies

Comment

An unpruned cordon should try and turn itself back into a tree of sorts over time.

You normally prune cordons in August to trim off the summers growth and to keep the neat shape. If you don't do that the tree will eventually bush out.

As with any type of tree you may need to do some pruning from time to time to keep the tree 'open' and to the size/shape you are looking for.

In short there is nothing unique about a cordon it is just a tree pruned very restrictively.
      Last edited by BearGardener; 28-03-2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

There's a bit of info here on training cordon fruit trees:

Apples and pears: growing and training as cordons / Royal Horticultural Society
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

BearGardener is right. The quick answer is there is no need to do anything, just plant it and leave it, and it will revert to being a regular tree in no time.

The slightly longer answer is, assuming it is on Quince C rootstock, cut it back to around 40" / 1m. This will free up the pruned side shoots to grow more quickly.

Comment

Thanks all, it is on a quince A rootstock. I'm considering now just keeping it as acordon and then putting in some other trees to fill the space. Will prob make a last minute decision when I space all the trees (I also have 2 dwarfing cherries and a semidwarfing peach) out. It takes a lot of thinking power this planning malarky!
            If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

On Quince A it could eventually become quite a big tree - 3m-4m tall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X