Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low growing shade tolerant perennial companions ...?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low growing shade tolerant perennial companions ...?

Try saying that after three bottles of red

I picked up a few pots and planters today, and am looking for some suggestions.

Firstly I picked up a couple of window box baskets with a coir liner which I'm looking at mounting on the house side of the fance to house the surplus wild white strawberries. I'm after ideas of plants to put in with them for added decoration. Must be shade tolerant (only gets sun at the height of summer and only for a short time), and ideally perennial so I'm not disturbing the strawbs next year.

Likewise, I have a trough/pot which will be housing a dwarf pomegranate, and has room for something either side of it. I don't want anything that will compete with the pommie in terns of height or roots, just add a bit of decoration either side. This one will be in the sun, but brought inside on a north facing kitchen windowsill in the colder months. Would I be better with something like thyme in this one?

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
    .. to house the surplus wild white strawberries. ..Must be shade tolerant
    are your strawbs going to fruit OK in the shade?

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
    brought inside on a north facing kitchen windowsill
    again, far from ideal. The only thing I can grow on a north windowsill are algae & moss
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Very good points on both counts Two Sheds.

The alpines will fruit in the shade, and I actually got the seeds for these for the "dark" side of the planters which will have 36 plants of standard variety on the front, which would not produce anything round the back. The alpines would produce more in the sun, but they will produce something in the shade unlike other plants. Besides, it's the only room left to put the plants in. I either put the alpines in that location, or ditch all the ones that won't go in the planters, and just fill the baskets with other shade tolerant flowers

As for the North facing kitchen windowsill being used for the dwarf pommie, it's that or leave it outside. The reason is that it's by far the only windowsill deep enough to accomodate it, and the pommie won't really be hardy enough to go outside all year round for at least a couple of years IMHO.

Most things I do in my garden are a compromise, and at times I simply have to chance my arm with some plants. All I want to do is try to make the best of a bad situation, and I appreciate I'm starting out on the back foot.

All suggestions are welcome

Comment

Vinca minor. It will flower .

Vinca Major would as well - but imo too big.

Comment

HEUCHERELLA - 'Redstone Falls':

HEUCHERELLA - 'Redstone Falls' PBR

--------------------------------------------

HEUCHERELLA - 'Yellowstone Falls' :

HEUCHERELLA - 'Yellowstone Falls' PBR

Comment

For something unusual: Hepatica...

Comment

Cheers folks, I'll look into those

Comment

Some of the lamiums have lovely coloured leaves- and the bees love the flowers!

RHS Plant Selector Lamium maculatum / RHS Gardening
                Last edited by Jeanied; 29-03-2014, 10:41 AM.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X