Potting on a peach tree and a lemon tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting on a peach tree and a lemon tree

Hi. I've got a peach tree which has sat in the same small pot for 2-3 years, poor thing. It's not a very big pot, although the tree has put out loads of flowers, which I assume is a good thing. Could I risk re-potting it at this stage, or would it be better to wait until later in the year?

The lemon is one I've just bought from Lidl. It looks healthy enough, but there are loads of roots showing on the surface of the pot. I'd love to put it in a slightly bigger pot, but would this upset it? It's currently got flowers on, and one lemon, as well as a bit of new growth.

Thanks
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

I think I would go for it, they're not going to get any smaller over the summer. I suppose however you don't want just lots of leafy growth, you want fruit. Still think I'd go for it.

Comment

Thanks Wendy, I think you're right . I'm sure it's better for the longer term health of the trees to do it now, and if I sacrifice the fruit well.. there's always next year .

Comment

Should be OK for repotting both. The peach will be coming into leaf and flower soon but I would think a nice bigger pot would outweigh any hiccup caused.

Have a lemon and I have no idea of the best time to repot, mine has been repotted when it needs it and I actually get round to it. So basically anytime.

You need a slightly heavy compost, I usually mix stuff together to get what I want. I do generally incorporate some manure as the things can only get nutrients from what is in the pot.

Comment

Thx Kirk. The peach is in the polytunnel and has been in full flower for some time - it's now started to drop its petals, but too early to see if I fooled it into thinking I was a pollinating insect with my paintbrush or not . One of these days (years...) I want to put it out in the garden against a sunny wall, but that means building some kind of shelter for the spring, plus getting rid of the brambles first! So I think a bigger pot is in order. The lemon will have to make do with whatever I can find I'm afraid! Compost over here is pretty rubbish on the whole, and I don't have any manure, but I'll do what I can. Anything must be better than being crammed into the little pot it's in at the moment anyway . I've always wanted a lemon tree, I'm really looking forward to watching it grow .

Comment

my lemon tree has flowers and fruit at the same time all year round and as previous reply i repot as needed into ordinary multipurpose compost with a little grit added.I bought mine 4 years ago from Lidl as a small plant and it is now approx 5feet tall

Comment

Well, lemon tree now repotted, and looking quite happy in its new home . We had to cut the old pot off it was such a tight fit. Will try the peach tomorrow - bigger tree, smaller pot! Wonder if scissors will do the job again?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X