Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone confirm the identity if these?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone confirm the identity if these?

Hi I'm hoping someone can help a real novice here. This morning I cleared a rather neglected section and came across a couple of things. This allotment was someone fruit allotment before I took it on with some unusual bits and bobs. Is it likely therefore this is a cranberry?

And what about this - next to a Jostaberry and amongst lots of fruit bushes... A Lingonberry? I guess it could be thyme (it's amongst fruit so assumed it was fruit but didn't think to check that possibility while I was there)

Also I'm fairly sure this is rhubarb. It got damaged clearing nettles before I saw it. Bit of a sorry state, is there anything I can do to help it? I'm embarrassed if it's just a weed!

Many thanks
    Nicola

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Attached Files

Can't comment on the first...never grown it.

2nd looks like it's thyme/marjoram/oregano ( can't see your piccies very well ) - rub a bit between your fingers- then you'll know if it is or not !

Last one - hard to tell, but that looks more like a dock to me.Either that- or horseradish perhaps????
    If you gently scrape away at the soil at it's base you'll see a long tap root if it's dock-or horseradish- but horseradish will smell of well, horseradish if you gently scratch one of the roots.
    If it's rhubarb it'll have a hard solid woody clump . I really don't think%
    Last edited by Nicos; 30-03-2014, 02:38 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think you are going to have to let the first two develop a bit more before we can tell what they are. I am sorry to say I think the third is a dock. Rhubarb comes up with a lot thicker stem and closely furled leaves.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Ha, ha ok I thought it was just a bit spindly! I will inspect further but I remember covering over a bit of root that was exposed and it was brown/a bit woody I think but will double check and do some scratch and sniff! :-D Otherwise out it goes! The others I'll nurture a bit more and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

The first looks very similar to blueberries, to which cranberries are similar. So I'd suspect one of the two.

Comment

Thanks DuncanM. I'm going to try and improve the soil in this area assuming it us I think!

Back to the dock/rhubarb/horseradish???... I have gone back briefly to pick something up from shed so took another closer photo including root (and my hand to give sense of perspective)... Does this confirm it's non-edible? Most of the leaves got chopped/severed in my nettle massacre... I'm conscious though plot holders around me may be giggling that I've loving nurtured a weed over the past week or so :-D

Attached Files

Comment

Photos are lovely on my phone but not very clear when I upload on here via the app. Sorry if it's not any more helpful photography!!!

Comment

It is not Rhubarb.
                If it was horseradish it should be all through the lotty.
                My money is on a dock.
                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                Bob

Comment

Dig one up completely. If its dock you'll find a long tap root.
                  My money's on dock too - sorry

Comment

Oh well! It's just one clump that I can lift up from where it is 'sitting' with a browny/red root going sideways. Whatever weed it is, out it goes! Would have made an unpopular crumble then had I given it more loving care!

I'll take advantage if the free rhubarb offer with the magazine and plant it somewhere more suitable!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X