Grapevine, inside or outside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapevine, inside or outside?

Hello Everyone, just found this site and will be looking on a regular basis, it seems very informative. I have literally just been to our local garden centre for a vase and ended up with a vine

The variety is called Vitis Boskoop Glory. It is a good sized vine for the price, I think (about 3-4 feet and cost just £4.75). My question is, where do I plant the vine?

I have a 8x6 greenhouse and the floor is earth with plastic sacking laid on top to prevent weeds, which has worked great, there is then a layer of pea shingle on top. The vine could be planted directly into the greenhouse, but is there a main reason for planting the root outside and putting the foliage through a hole, apart for watering reasons and can a vine get too much water? I can plant either inside or outside, as I have polycarb windows, which method is recommended?

Plant the root outside and the stem inside. The roots like to be kept cooler than the average summy temp in a greenhouse and as they are outside will not require watering by you, unless of course there is a drought.

I have two outside vines and two in big polytunnels, it will be interesting which produces the best crop.

Comment

Welcome to the vine stooey! You seem to have got a bargain there!

Boskoop Glory is a very hardy vine and if I lived closer I would be asking directions to the garden centre!!!

My first year growing grapes myself and I have a Cabernet Sauvignon which, I have been reliably informed, is hard to get a crop from!
      I have another two unnamed vines that seem to do well round here,which I got from cuttings, but what I really wanted was a Boskoop!!(insert jealous icon!)

Good luck with your grapevine, can't add anything to Piglets advice!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have a vine which is perfectly happy in a large planter outside (but I am a bit further south).
        You are a child of the universe,
        no less than the trees and the stars;
        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

"Welcome to the vine stoooey! You seem to have got a bargain there!"

I got the more expensive one! the other smaller ones were £3. 50-75. The garden centre is pretty cheap and very good quality. Maybe I should buy lots and sell online lol.

Thanks for the replies. I have planted the vine outside and made a hole in the greenhouse window with a hot knife, put the roots through and replaced a new piece of polycarb with a small slit for the stem and sealed with silicon to prevent any warm air escaping.

Comment

Boskoop Glory is really an outdoor vine, I have one at home, and I'm not far from you. I am expecting my first crop this year. I would go for a variety that would do great under glass and keep the Boskoop for outside, so you get two vines! Mine is just planted in an old bin with a heritage rose - companion planting, the rose tells me if the vine is ill.
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Snap! I bought a Boskoop at the weekend as well (from Iver). I'm hoping it will evetually grow up and over my new decking so will be eagerly reading this thread for any tips on keeping it happy. Hope you enjoy yours stoooey!
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Boskoops for under a fiver sounds very cheap for a pot grown plant!! I'm presuming they are pot grown as it's a bit late for bare rooted?
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Should have said, mine is pot grown too, about 18" or so tall I guess on the main stem, and cost 6.99, not as good a bargain as stooey's but not bad. Just hope it grows for me now!
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Okay, isn't hindsight wonderful! Should have asked you folk first but I went ahead and planted my boskoop in the front corner of my veg patch, which is also one corner of my decking, with the idea that it will eventually climb up and over aided by all the attention I lavish on the plot. But now I'm wondering, will all my digging in the plot upset it, and will its roots take over my plot and take too much goodness away from the area? It's only been in situ since Sunday so I guess I can move it if I've boobed!

Comment

What does this grapevine look like in autumn? Do the leaves go very red/orange before they fall off? Am thinking of getting one as it's a good cropper, but red/orange leaves in September/October will clash with my other garden colours!

Comment

Try to put it south facing if you can.

Is it essential to put the roots outside the greenhouse btw ? I have Lakemont and it is big.

Any ideas on how to prune it?

Comment

Grapevines want to grow grow grow grow...... Look up correct pruning in a book if you want a lot of fruit.

One vine will fill a small greenhouse no problem!!

Comment

thanks peeps now i have the bug to get a vine if my wife lobs me out Im blameing
                            you lot, have a good one today and a better one tomarow
                            laurie

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo View Post
                              Grapevines want to grow grow grow grow...... Look up correct pruning in a book if you want a lot of fruit.

One vine will fill a small greenhouse no problem!!
                              I did - it was not that simple and I am a bit confused. Any ideas?
                              It is just a mass of growth and no fruit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X