Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to put on top of strawberry barrels?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to put on top of strawberry barrels?

I have two strawberry barrel planters that take 24 plants each around the sides and another 6 plants on top. Around the sides, the berries will hang freely from the "pockets", but on top they are liable to sit on the surface of the compost.

I note that some people use straw around their strawberries to keep the fruits off the surface, but I can see this just leading to lots of straw being blown about the garden and not much left on the top. I also note some people use black plastic, but doesn't that risk the fruits sitting in a puddle?

Will bark be good enough? What about a couple of layers of landspacping fabric? Obviously I have left this question a bit late, and all the plants are busy getting established and chucking flowers out, so whatever I use, will have to be carefully applied around the plants.

How strange AIC, I have just made a load of Y shaped sticks out of twigs to support the strawbs.......many people use straw.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

What a coincidence BM I'm concerned that straw won't stay put with it only being a small area and not densely planted or edged. I'll take a look at the stems on mine and see if a mini Y or M support would work (I think some of the stems are a bit short). Maybe I can fashion something out of a bit of wire ....

Comment

Would dampening the straw help hold it down, maybe some netting on top would help.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Bark chip would work and the strawberries won't sit in puddles
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
            Bark chip would work and the strawberries won't sit in puddles
            Nice one. Thanks, roitelet. I already have half a bag of chippings, so that gets me off to a good start

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            Would dampening the straw help hold it down, maybe some netting on top would help.
            Another interesting idea .... hmmmm ..... actually, that's got me thinking of something else entirely now. The way they're constructed, I might be able to conjure up a little anchoring system for it

Comment

I use weed suppressant/landscaping fabric it seems to work out ok.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Cheers Bren. Bark and ladscape fabric are two items already in the garden. I might actually try combining the two. I'm thinking I can use the holes that the tension clips go through on the barrel planter as somewhere to feed twine through to act as a tie down to keep everything in place .... also that needs more looking at when the sky isn't leaking

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X