Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New raspberry canes

Hi all

I have 6 new raspberry canes (bare root) but the allotment is not ready to plant them yet. Can I plant them at home then move them in autumn? I'm not expecting any fruit this year but I can't resist a bargain 😗

They are 2 canes each of the following:
    Malling seedling
    Glen ample
    Polka

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Yep. Put them in pots

Comment

As an aside - I bought 6 canes of summer and autumn fruiting raspberries each about 3 years ago. Now they are threatening to take over the garden....they'll fill any space you put them in.

Comment

I don't have any compost to put in any pots, was hoping to just put them in the ground and move them in a few months?

Comment

Put some garden soil in the pots - it'll be less stressful for the canes than digging up again in a few months time.
          As taff says - raspberries are garden thugs. Mine would be twice the size it is if I got rid of the rasperries.

Comment

Ok will do thanks

Comment

If I recall Polka is an autumn fruiting raspberry, Glen Ample is a summer one and Malling seedling appears to be another autumn variety. You should plant the autumn and summer ones seperately as the pruning is different.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Put some garden soil in the pots - it'll be less stressful for the canes than digging up again in a few months time.
                As taff says - raspberries are garden thugs. Mine would be twice the size it is if I got rid of the rasperries.
                Oh dear.. I may have planted too many in my tiny garden! LOL!
                Hussar!

Comment

I only bought one single cane a couple of years back, this spring having split it some more I've now got 8 separate plants, one of which is still in a large pot. So don't buy too many, they'll spread and will happily split to give you more
                  Last edited by KarlB924; 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X