Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inherited an apple tree.....feeling worried about what to do.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited an apple tree.....feeling worried about what to do.

Hello,

I only seem to ever come on here to ask questions, but I guess it's my first year of growing in my inherited mid terrace garden. The previous owner as the seasons continues had some great ideas and not so great ideas so to give you some background information I thought I'd share this with you to put you in the picture....

At the bottom of our north facing garden we have a vegetable patch, it's where the sun gets to and I am pleased to say we have done quite well out of it - there are courgettes growing, runners, broads, kale and a variety of herbs. Towards the end of the patch is a trellis which then goes in to a secret garden kind of area. In that area is 2 raspberry bushes, a red currant bush and a dwarfy gooseberry bush which has seen better and more lighter days.

Above these bushes is an acer which provides a lot of shade but the fruit bushes have coped in the shade. To my surprise 3 weeks ago an apple tree came off the trellis baring fruits, I have no idea of the breed but you can see the apple tree trying to find light as it is surrounded by honey suckle. It is not attached to the trellis but close enough for me to feed the branches on to the terrace.

What is crazy is most of my friends take the p out of the fact I have an obsession with apple fruits, I also go to Ledbury apple festival so you can imagine my face when I saw the fruits in my own back garden.

What I would like to do is give this apple tree the life it deserves, potentially training the branches through the trellis and making sure it's looked after properly. I curse the previous owner sometimes but then I smile at the fact he had the balls to grow these plants in such a small area.

What would people do ? Any tips ? I feel very responsible for this apple tree and it's life, I am happy to do close up shots.

Below is the garden, the tree is to the right of the trellis opening.

Attached Files

the image was the day we moved in, i'll upload a nicer one tomorrow if you guys need it !?!

Comment

I am a little puzzled why you want to train it through the trellis. It just seems to be a bad idea - either the tree will give the trellis problems or the other way round.

Can you clarify raspberry bushes ?
      If a bush then not a raspberry, or is it a clump of canes.
      Just raspberry's tend to run amok and throw up canes everywhere.

Gooseberry's tend to be one of those that will deliver some fruit even if neglected.

Think you need to look at the apple then decide on pruning it to a suitable shape, but not through a trellis.

The current and gooseberry can be moved in Autumn/Winter, make yourself another bed for fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_birmingham View Post
        Hello,

I only seem to ever come on here to ask questions
        Once you've had them all answered you'll be in a position to return the favour.

Please post more photos. I can't help with your question but I'm nosy.

I can't see any apple tree in the photo you've posted, but if it was me and it was something I wanted (and it sounds like you do) then I'd just cut back everything around it, and move the trellis too if necessary. It's your garden - don't feel bound by what the last person did.
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
          Think you need to look at the apple then decide on pruning it to a suitable shape, but not through a trellis.
          I'm with Kirk on this. I'd also wait until harvest and see whether it's a variety you like, or even if it's a cooker or an eater. And if it's not up to much I'd consider taking it out and planting some young trees then training them in whatever form suits you. Clean slate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X