Birds in fruit cage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds in fruit cage

Today I thought I saw a bird in the fruit cage so went to look and found two blackbirds and one sparrow sized, all juveniles, trapped inside. I was able to release them unharmed, but I was surprised they got in. It is one of those aluminium pole and rubber ball jobs with green mesh draped over. It seems odd that three birds got in. They had not been in long, an hour maximum. The blackcurrant was not stripped either. I will have to make sure the net is pinned down on all sides. Ironically birds are not attacking the raspberries, so maybe the netting was not needed for the blackcurrant.

Birds have stripped my blackcurrant but for some unknown reason have left the redcurrants alone. I have so many raspberries that they're welcome to as many as they want of them although one day I will build a fruit cage for all the soft fruit (at the moment I only net the strawberries) and did plant them in a way that would make it easy to encase them all.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have netting over the strawberries but, because it isn't properly pinned down, the birds creep beneath it - and creep out again There was a blackbird in there today. I don't mind as they have a nest with 3 young uns in the log store, in the chicken run, and they're busy feeding them.

Comment

I also don't mind if they take some, I have five currants, only one producing, and most will be left uncovered, as long as enough are left for me. But one blackcurrant will be covered as insurance.

Comment

I only had 3 gooseberries on the plant this year. (it is young).

then I discovered why ... a baby blackie was on top of the GP hutch eating one
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I had a big cock pheasant in my fruit cage and he chased me out when tried to shoo him out ! Aggressive bird or what !

Sent from my

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X