Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit trees purchased from Asda?

Hi all,
    I purchased two apple trees (one Braeburn and a James Grieve) which pollinate each other. Well the trees don't the insects do... but you get what I mean.
    Also, I purchased two cherry trees both being Cherry Stella and self pollinating.

Has anyone else purchased any of the fruit trees that were available from Asda this year, or previous years?

If so, how have they fared? Any major problems I should be on the lookout for?
    Do I need to protect the young trees with a cylinder of mesh wire as mentioned in another post?

I got my lottie in October this year and this is the first time I've ever attempted gardening / growing anything. I must say tho I'm loving it so far. I'm reading posts and topics like mad.

On reading the 'blurb' with the trees I understand it will be about two years till I get any decent fruit. I'll just have to be patient.

Any advice, comments or musings welcome :-)

Hi, DJ - the Vine's resident fruit expert, FB, will be along, I guess, in due course - but he's a busy chap and might not be right onto it. His advice will be worth waiting for, however, I guarantee it.

In the meantime the rest of us humble grapes will most likely pitch in with their experiences.

Oh - do you know what rootstock that these trees have been grafted onto? And what sort of soil do you have at the plot? That's the sort of technical gubbins that would be useful.

Comment

Important to know what the Rootstock is, and how you want to grow it - into a tree? trained along wires e.g. Espalier? or as a Cordon? or a dwarf - perhaps even in a pot?

If you have rabbits or Deer on your plot you definitely need to protect the plant, a cylinder around them of chicken wire (actually needs smaller holes than regular chicken wire, its typically called "Rabbit wire", natch!) will keep the critters out.

Personally I would have bought two different Cherry varieties, as cross pollination would yield better than self-pollination, and you an option would be to have varieties that flower at the same time, for pollination, but mature at different times to spread the harvest.
      Last edited by Kristen; 24-12-2014, 02:02 AM.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Hi Kirsten,
        thanks for your comments :-)
        I can tell you (from reading the cards that came with the trees) that the trees are grafted onto M26 rootstock.
        As for the soil type ... it's not clay and that's as much as I know. I'm a complete beginner to lotties and growing things in general.
        I did want two different types of cherry, the only options though were Cherry Stella and Morello. I'm not a lover of Morello as they are not that sweet.

As for location, they are planted directly into the soil on the lottie, and I'm hoping they will turn into small trees which I will attempt to keep at about 4 /5 foot.

Comment

Here you go

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_82158.html

I think the out come of the thread is you may not get what you think you bought and on another thread it is advised if it does fruit in a year or so leave a couple of fruits to check if it is what is should be/ if you like it

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
            Personally I would have bought two different Cherry varieties, as cross pollination would yield better than self-pollination, and you an option would be to have varieties that flower at the same time, for pollination, but mature at different times to spread the harvest.
            With DJ being on an allotment, and possibly other cherry trees growing there - would cross/self pollination be a problem ?

With other fruits like apples, etc requiring pollination - if other plot holders are growing them - could you limit yourself to buying just one variety of each with the hope that yours is cross pollinated with theirs ?
            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
              With other fruits like apples, etc requiring pollination - if other plot holders are growing them - could you limit yourself to buying just one variety of each with the hope that yours is cross pollinated with theirs ?
              Yup, but if you yourself want several then you could consider whether they are suitable pollination partners (flowering/pollination group the same, or one either side - so B with B, or A or C ) as that will make sure of it.

With DJ being on an allotment, and possibly other cherry trees growing there - would cross/self pollination be a problem ?
              Yup, good point, any suitable variety in the neighbourhood will do the trick. If anyone is thinking of planting a cherry perhaps tell them "Whatever you do don't get Stella" and then they will plant something else

I'll get my coat ...
              Last edited by Kristen; 24-12-2014, 09:04 AM.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

From the RHS website:
                Name of rootstock: M26 (dwarfing)
                Suitable for: Bush, pyramid, spindlebush, cordon, espalier and is ideal for containers
                Start fruiting: After two or three years
                Ultimate height as trained as bush: 2.4-3m (8-10ft) x 3.6m (12ft)
                Growing conditions: Average soils including grassed orchards
                Staking: Permanently
                Spacing: 2.4-3.6m (8-12ft) with 4.5m (15ft) between rows

I have James Grieve as my only apple tree (although there is an unknown variety in the next door but 1 garden) and I have never had any trouble with pollination. These are the most beautiful apples - large (even from my extremely dwarf tree on M27 rootstock), crisp, sweet and with a very pleasant tang. They don't keep well and need eating within about a week of picking, which is why you never see them in the shops.

I've not grown Braeburn, but these are commonly found in the shops so you should know what they are like.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thank you for your responses :-)

Reading Penellype's reply, I'm not sure I have left enough space between the trees. I've gone for a more haphazard planting (As haphazard as you can get with only four trees) so they are not planted in rows.
                  I take it that Bush, Pyramid, Spindlebush, Cordon, Espalier are the shapes these can be grown / pruned into? I'll have a google. Not really thought much past getting them in the ground and settled for the winter.

Chatting to a fellow lottie holder earlier today, he also has cherry trees on his plot that Weren't Stella but I can't remember what he said they were now. On a plus side the allotment site doesn't have any rabbit population at all, and has a deer fence around the perimeter, so no deer either. A few foxes though. With one seeming to saunter through the site whenever he pleases not fazed by us working away less that 10 feet away.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X