Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry another Raspberry question and a couple of supplementary questions

Raspberries

I have been reading about soft fruits.....never bothered with them before except strawberries. Yesterday I planted 12 Glen Ample in their new bed complete with the framework suggested, todays question is about the depth of mulch and what to use. I am hoping its bark as I have an endless supply of that.

Plum (Victoria)

I have order a Victoria plum on St Julien, after planting when would you expect fruit....year 2?

Black Currant (unknown)

I took some cuttings from a bush in my MiL garden and all appear to have taken. At what distance should I plant them and how long before they fruit?
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM.

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
    Raspberriesaspberries

I have been reading about soft fruits.....never bothered with them before except strawberries. Yesterday I planted 12 Glen Ample in their new bed complete with the framework suggested, todays question is about the depth of mulch and what to use. I am hoping its bark as I have an endless supply of that.
    I love Raspberriesaspberries.......................

I would think you should be fine mulching with bark as long as you don't dig it in.

I would expect the Plum tree to bear fruit in the 2nd year.

I've not grown Blackcurrants but would guess at 2-3ft apart.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 03-01-2015, 05:08 PM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Blackcurrants can get quite big. How big was the parent plant?
      Ken Muir planting guide suggests a distance of 5' but says you can plant at 2'6" to increase fruiting in the first four years. I guess then you could remove alternate bushes and allow them to grow on. This might be possible for you if you have plenty of rooted cuttings.

Comment

As said black currants get pretty big, if only 2-3' then you won't be able to get around it to harvest. Mine are 5' apart in one direction and 6' in the other. Wouldn't really want them any closer.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
            Black Currant ... At what distance should I plant them and how long before they fruit?
            about 5 ft apart (you think they'll never get that big, but they do). Prune them into a goblet shape. Mine have fruited every year except when I go a bit mad with the pruning
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X