This weekends addition to my garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekends addition to my garden

got some blueberries planted over the weekend. only thing is i have picked up wrong ones. i meant to buy blue crop, when i got home i noticed I've bought gold traube. i haven't heard heard much about this type of blueberry. & can't find much out on the net.

i was half way through planting them when i noticed i picked up the wrong ones. & didn't fancy a hour round trip to go change them so in the pot they went. does anyone know if you can eat this type straight off the bush?

thanks ng
    Attached Files

"VACCINIUM corymbosum BLUEBERRY Gold Traube

Heavy cropping variety with a vigorous upright habit. Huge crops of large firm fruits with an aromatic flavour. The delicious berries are high in vitamins and ideal for freezing as they maintain their flavour. Superb display of pinky white, bell-shaped flowers in spring and outstanding autumn colour add to its appeal. This robust and reliable variety is also ideal for container growing. Eventual height: 1½m (5ft). Eventual spread: 1m (3ft). Cropping season: late July/August. Self fertile, but cross pollination will encourage a greater yield.

This plant is supplied in a 3L pot.

Plant 1.5m (5ft) apart in rows 2m (6ft) apart.

Plant in an open sunny spot in a moist acid, but well-drained soil. Can also be sucessfully grown in pots with ericaceous compost.

Planting:
    Soak the root-ball before planting. Plant in a hole twice the diameter of the root-ball or pot. Mix an organic soil improver and general fertiliser with the infill soil. Water regularly with lime-free water until established.

After Care:
    Thin out dense bushes by reducing branches by one-third every 2-3 years in winter. Apply a general fertiliser in spring."
    My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

new gardener - to the best of my knowledge all blueberries (and their wild relatives the bilberry) can be eaten straight off the bush.

Don't worry about not getting the variety you wanted as blueberries even though they are self-fertile benefit from having a pollination partner, so go and get another bush of the variety you wanted

Comment

Here's a good link too about them!

Giant Blueberries 'Goldtraube' | Fruit & Veg from Bakker Spalding Garden Company

nice choice!...never heard of them before.

( you did buy more than one didn't you as they aren't self fertile)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm thinking of poppin a couple more bushes into my container, it's 18" dia.
          Will this be ok?

Comment

They'd be better one per pot!
            I hadn't realised there are 2 in the first piccie!
            They'll get quite big, so no- deffo not 2 more in there- and seperate those when you can

Comment

When it says plant together, I'm pretty sure it means near each other and not in the same pot.
              Look at the planting guide in the last link I gave you

30x 30x30 cm hole per bush (or a pot at least that big initially- which you have- and plant 1.5 m apart ( to allow for growth)
              Last edited by Nicos; 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks nicos

Comment

As advised I need to separate theses two blueberry bushes and give them a pot each. They went into the one pot over the weekend. Would I be best moving them ASAP or wait till they are dormant now?

Kind regards ng.

Comment

I'd do it now, before they spread their roots and tangle themselves up.

Comment

Thanks veggiechicken I will do it soon then thanks for your help.

Comment

Well after. Long day at work this evening I separated my blueberries into different pots, glad I have done it now thanks for everyone that advised me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X