signs trees need watering

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signs trees need watering

first i would like to say hi.... I'm new to the forum and new to the gardening world.
    i have over the last couple of weeks planted a few fruit trees in my garden, in hope to get me and my two boys excited at the thought of growing our own fruit.

I've planted 1 apple tree (cox orange pippin) 1 cherry tree (sunburst) & 1 plum tree (victoria) i hope my first question don't sound silly but i live in the north east of scotland.
    (the weather is only just starting to become more mild and summer like)

anyway how often should i be watering my new trees and how much water should i be giving them?

Hello and welcome. Don't worry about questions seeming silly, always better to find out.

Are you trees in pots (if so, what size) or in the ground? If in pots they may need watering but the ones I planted earlier this year in the borders haven't been watered since they were planted out. I tend to water very well on planting and then leave alone unless it's very dry, too much surface watering can encourage shallow roots rather than them seeking deeper water, leading to a more delicate plant.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Also, assume they were bought in pots rather than bare and dry roots at this time of year?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

good evening alison.
        i have planted the trees in the ground. they have only been planted a few days. i have gave them a good watering in. i find some advice i have found online a bit confusing most say water young trees well for first year but what does that mean.(every day week or couple of times a week) i bought the trees potted. thank you for you advice.

Kind Regards ng.

Comment

Welcome, I have always thought new trees require lots of water for quite a time but I am sure Alison knows more about it than i do.
          What does occur to me is the choice of "New Gardener" for your screen name. What will you do when your'e an old gardener?
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

They do need to be kept from drying out but shouldn't be watered for the sake of it. Even when the surface is dry, it's often quite damp a few inches down. Suppose it depends on your soil and how often it's rained. At the moment it's not that warm around here so there is little moisture loss through leaves etc therefore less water requirements if you see what I mean.

Comment

Hi and welcome

When I first started out I had all good intentions of watering things all the time like companies tell you but most things establish better when left to it. If they look dried out or wilty then water but as Alison says they will be better not being frequently watered.

More to the point do you know what rootstocks your fruit trees are on? this may dictate how much you mollycoddle them. Whilst they are establishing keep grass away from the trunk and give them a mulch to stop plants competing with them.

Comment

Welcome to the Vine, NG - I can't help on fruit trees, but wanted to say hello.

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                What does occur to me is the choice of "New Gardener" for your screen name. What will you do when your'e an old gardener?
                I have often wondered this - I didn't realise that the thought had occurred to anyone else!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine NG

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                  Bit like my user name the only thing I grow in pots now are seedlings.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi and welcome
                    Carrie

Comment

Hello and welcome - I watered my new fruit trees about once a month (a full can each) if it hadn't rained much in the last month, and we do get temps in the low thirties for most of the summer (in theory). The second year they were on their own!
                      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

hello and welcome, now if you lived around here on the west coast you wouldn't have to worry about plants getting enough water, we worry about them getting enough sunlight.....

Comment

hello again. thank you for all your kind welcomes and advice given.....i guess i will water my trees less often now. could i damage my trees if i over water them?

Comment

Hello and welcome! Some of us will always be "New" gardeners as we never stop learning
                            I planted out some bare root fruit trees a few months back. Apart from giving them a really good soak before I planted them and a good watering when they went in, I haven't watered them since. If they looked wilty, I would give them a soak, but not otherwise.
                            As long as your soil drains away and the trees aren't left sitting in a puddle of water, I doubt that you could over water them (although someone will be along soon to tell me I'm wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by new gardener 1052 View Post
                              hello again. thank you for all your kind welcomes and advice given.....i guess i will water my trees less often now. could i damage my trees if i over water them?
                              You do want to persuade your trees to send down roots to search for water, so it's best not to overdo it. I think PyreneesPlot's advice is the best, i.e. wait until they really need it then give them a thorough drenching. Keep a careful eye on them if it's been dry for a while but if they aren't wilting then they aren't desperate.
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X