Patio fruit trees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    From what I have found they are just trees on dwarf rootstock. With that in mind you can plant them in the ground but may struggle to get to a decent size shape/tree as well as decent fruit if the conditions are not good. Again even in a pot they still require a fair amount of attention. Using the word patio usually seems to command a higher price. However there is often offers on them and I think several grapes have bought in the past when on offer.
    I got my apricot dwarf tree from the "range"@£6 and it produces more lovely fruit each year, so not all the patio fruit trees are rubbish and at that price it will not break the bank...

Comment

^^^I didn't say they were rubbish. I have dwarf peach and nectarine. I have nothing against them

Comment

Originally posted by chefgage View Post
        Here are some pictures of my two dwarf apple and pear trees.[ATTACH=CONFIG]56741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56745[/ATTACH]
        You'll soon have to rename them 'not so dwarf yard trees' :-)
        Hate to be a doom merchant but they are quickly becoming unsustainable in a pot, even a big one. The surface area of all those leaves is massive equating to huge transpiration. If they have one more year of unfetted growth I fear one day of missed watering they will rebel, which would be a shame.
        Just saying

Comment

`when my "dwarf" trees have nearly reached the wanted height, I take them out of the tub in December/January, and remove most of the thick roots (same as I do with the bonsai), and this removes the ability to grow large , as large roots supply the big branches (that's as I understand it) and it does seem to work, I have had a red haven peach now for over 5yrs, and it is about thee and a half foot from soil level, and we have a possible 31 fruit that seem to have set this year, and I am doing this with 2 apples in tubs now the branch framework is developing nicely. as I get less mobile I am doing this to more and more of my tubbed fruit trees = no bending and no stretching = happiness..
          Last edited by BUFFS; 20-04-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

No one have any idea about Pear Harvest Green or what to pollinate it with?...thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

^^^Sorry, never heard of it. Can you not contact the place you got it from?

Comment

Unfortunately it was Morries, so it's probably a made up tree!
                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X