Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterlogged soil - plum tree

Hello, I'm new here

In Nov I planted plum tree, we're on clay soil which can be very wet in winter and dries hard in summer - is very patchy some parts much better than others. I planted the tree in a spot I thought was ok, but has turned out to be quite wet. It isn't waterlogged all of the time, but with all the rain we've been having there have been quite a few times when it has been waterlogged for a few days or a week at a time.

I could move it - I don't really want to, but if it's going to die I guess now would be the time whilst it is still dormant?

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Hi
    If you think you need to move it do it now before it starts to leaf out, or you will be stuck till next autumn. Clay soil shouldn't be a problem in itself as plums are more tolerant of these soils than apples or pears. An occasional waterlogging for a week in the middle of winter probably would do no lasting harm, but if the soil is waterlogged for a few months then you have a major problem. if you replant consider mound planting so the tree is raised above the surround ground. this enables the tree to get away to a good start.

Comment

thanks for the reply. think ill leave it as isn't permanently waterlogged, more a week here and there. It is by an old apple tree that seems happy, so i think i'll do nothing and hope for the best!

Comment

You could improve the drainage before the roots spread out if you're keen-
        borrow or hire a soil auger (a bit like a giant corkscrew!) and bore cores 2-3 feet deep
        fill the holes with gravel - job done, excess water will find its way down these sinks

Comment

thats interesting, thanks. Are they the same things you use to make holes for fence posts?

Comment

I think so, tho I've never used them! There are powered versions of post-hole borers (eg Stihl) but I've only used a hand auger.

I guess any way of making a deep neat hole easily would do

Comment

Plums are frequently planted on edges of farmers fields to drain the water in the ditches as they like wet ground.
              Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
                Plums are frequently planted on edges of farmers fields to drain the water in the ditches as they like wet ground.
                Thanks, that's encouraging!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X