No announcement yet.

walnut

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the replies, good to hear they tolerate pruning to keep in check. Decided to go lateral bearing for yield, a good disease resistance and late leafing as lowers walnut blight pressure / late frost risk. That thinned the options and then what was availaible has left we with a Fertignac and a Fernor on order. Guess in 6 years will have some idea if that was right choice
    Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 17-01-2019, 05:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Attractive tree

Having inherited a beautiful old walnut tree in my garden, we rarely get much of a crop. Handful of delicious nuts around 2/3 size what we would find in shops. The rest that fall seem not to develop a bit worth eating. Can’t tell if this is just because it’s too far north here or because of the squirrels or both.

Despite this, I would be very sad if something happened to the tree because it forms a beautiful tree.

I recognise it might not be what you’re aiming for, but worst case scenario, hopefully you’ll have a beautiful new tree in the garden if. I thing else.

Comment

From what I have read single self pollinating walnuts can suffer from pollination issues some years, also late frosts harm early leafing varieties trees.
        Also read walnuts can be dangerous for dogs, as mine will all being well when get older have branches near a path wondered if anyone has come across this ?
        Looked on dogs trust and seems they are poisoned by most things
        https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-ad...bstances09.pdf

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X