strawberry varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strawberry varieties

what strawberry varieties are good to grow, can anyone recommend some, thanks

There are so many everyone has different ideas.

This is a very good site to look at for reference
    Strawberries by R W Walpole Ltd

also here
    Meiosis Ltd. Superior Varieties, Plant Variety Rights, Propagation / Sales / Own Use Licences, Royalty Collection

In the ground I like Korona because of its good disease resistance and flavour for in planters I like Vibrant and Elegance because they give very good 60 day performance, i.e the give a very high yield in the first year from runners.

Comment

All strawberries taste good to me

I haven't tried them, but from things I've read before Marshmello seem to be very popular.

You're going to have a list of 46 different strawberry types on here once everyone joins in!
      Last edited by vixylix; 30-03-2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Just remember your soil will have a bearing on the flavor. See what other people in your area are growing and cadge one to taste.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I have no idea!
          I just bought a selection online that gives me strawbs over a long growing period, some earlier, mids and lates.

They arrived today and now I am panicking as they are runners rather than plants and I have NO idea what to do with them. They look truly awful and 'dead' but I'm sure they are fine.

They are in their packaging in the garage until the weekend, by which time I hope to have googled enough to to know what to do with them!

Comment

Give them a good soak in water and pot them up separately. See what survives and then plant them out.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

they will look a bit dead as they are dormant but will spring into life , as said soak them and pot or plant them asap

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                All strawberries taste good to me I haven't tried them, but from things I've read before Marshmello seem to be very popular.
                Hi Vixylix I was thinking of trying Marshmello this year. The popularity might be down to the very thin skin which means the supermarkets can't sell them (Transportaion an expensive nightmare !) They are a 'mid season' I believe and all my exisiting strawbs are mid season.

Do you grow or could you recomend an early variety.

Comment

SaraJH, don't plant the runners too deep the crowns should be above the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Losos View Post
                    Hi Vixylix I was thinking of trying Marshmello this year. The popularity might be down to the very thin skin which means the supermarkets can't sell them (Transportaion an expensive nightmare !) They are a 'mid season' I believe and all my exisiting strawbs are mid season.

Do you grow or could you recomend an early variety.
                    I have Honeoye for this year, they are early season - again I've not tried them before, but they're currently growing really well!

Might be getting a bit late to plant bare rooted early strawberries now though

Comment

I have Honeoye for this year, they are early season - again I've not tried them before, but they're currently growing really well!
                      I grow them and I think they're amazing. The original bare rooted plants were a freebie with an apple tree order and then I've taken runners off them to replace the 24 plants I now have on a 3 year cycle. I find the fruits are big and very juicy and I get stoopidly huge volumes every year. That said somebody else on has had bad experiences with them (possibly rotting problems, can't remember) so it may depend on your soil.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm trying a few plants on a whim. They were at a local cash and carry and looked really good strong plants. I did try some a couple of years ago in containers, but they died shortly after planting them.

Comment

Might be getting a bit late to plant bare rooted early strawberries now though
                          Thanks, I'll put Honeoye on my list for next year, I agree it's getting late to plant 'earlies' now, my excuse is that I suffer from a major illness, it's called...............inertia, as I keep telling the OH there is no cure

Comment

thanks everyone think i will try

Florence
                            elegance
                            vibrant
                            korona

Thanks again!

Comment

Wandering around our local garden centre they had just had a batch of Honeoye in, looked quite good and some even had flowers on ?

Bought a couple, was £3 for the two, even if they both go down it's not going to be a disaster, and who knows I maybe munching on them the same time as your goodself

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X