No announcement yet.

A Lidl fruit tree advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marb, I'm fairly rubbish at fruit trees but, given your existing problems with the lack of light in your growing area could you espallier your trees to the brick wall, that would keep the canopy to a minimum.
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
      I'd have thought a bigger problem would be them having enough room below ground. Even supposing that your trees all manage to find a way to stretch their roots contentedly in just over 3 square feet each, that many roots in such a small space would presumably severely deplete the nutrients in the soil. I assume you are planning on feeding heavily?
      Yep, will be doing regular feeds but part of it is that the root competition should reduce vigour.

The place where they are planted used to be a giant manure pile so the ground is 50 percent manure plus loads of wood ash.

There's a high silica content but this is mainly in the firm of shards of glass the previous tenants buried to dispose of.

It's all an experiment so I'll see if it works after all if you don't try you'll never know.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
        It seems that Conventional Wisdom says that the plums and cherries can't be grown as cordons but as neither of these words is often associated with me I'll be growing them as a cordon anyway and adapt the pruning to them.
        I believe the mains reasons that stone fruits aren't recommended for cordons is twofold. Firstly they are similar in fruiting to tip bearing apples therefore if pruned as cordons you will loose a lot of the fruiting buds. Secondly and probably more importantly is that the pruning regime required for cordons necessitates winter and summer pruning and pruning stone fruits in the winter is a bad idea.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Everything I read says that in pruning stone fruit you end up pruning off the fruiting wood. That is IF you prune them like apples and pears.

I'm going to try growing double groups of spurs so one gets pruned back to one leaf after harvesting the fruit whilst the other puts on new growth for next year. That way they get pruned every other year and there is always older wood to fruit on.

This has been buzzing about in my brain for a while so I thought that it's better to try and fail than never try at all.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I believe the mains reasons that stone fruits aren't recommended for cordons is twofold. Firstly they are similar in fruiting to tip bearing apples therefore if pruned as cordons you will loose a lot of the fruiting buds. Secondly and probably more importantly is that the pruning regime required for cordons necessitates winter and summer pruning and pruning stone fruits in the winter is a bad idea.
            Sorry Alison, have to disagree. See exhibit 1-4
            My 5' step over Plum, it's against a north facing 6' fence. 5' so it gets the sunshine, trick.
            It's neither winter pruned or tip bearing.
            Just to be clear, a Cordon in my interpretation is a single stem, branch or trunk with no branches off it, just little stubs or fruiting spurs.

The secret? there isn't one, once the form is created simply summer prune all new growth back to 3 or 4 leaves, cut all the new growth to a few inches
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lookbettertomorow View Post
              My 5' step over Plum, it's against a north facing 6' fence. 5' so it gets the sunshine, trick.
              5 foot & Step over are not terms I would put together. You'd need bladdy long legs...................
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Limbo under possibly.

Comment

At 5' its a duck under tree.

Comment

...was trying to be funny

Comment

..........and so were we

Comment

And you all were
                        My dad insisted on growing step overs but he was so clumsy they were more often trip-overs. And yes I proudly carry those genes.
                        Good luck with the trees, Marb I'd go for pots that could be moved, too.
                        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

2 years on and it has not produced a single fruit BUT it is growing very fast, very healthy (despite a lot of holes in leaves where something has been eating it)the trunk already about 4 inches in diameter. I thought it would be a small tree but it looks to be a full size.

We have a lot of sparrows in the garden now and wondering if they have nibbled all the flowers out (although I don't remember seeing any)

I just need to know if and when I can prune it to keep on top of it. Here is a pic.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plumb tree.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2381092
                          Last edited by Marb67; 11-10-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

How have you pruned it?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Looking good, Marb.
                              Is that the plum or the pear as they have different pruning regimes. Don't ask me what they are though - you need an expert for that.

Comment

Looks like it's not been pruned.

Stoned fruit, June / July time
                                Apple / Pear - Winter.

Aim for a Goblet shape. Don't remove more than 25% material.

Start by removing bad wood, then crossed branches, then reduce height. General rule is 1/3rd new growth, but if never pruned, perhaps best to reduce height and then shape next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X