Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Canes

Hi everyone

Im new to all of this.. so please forgive me if i seem totally clueless!

I found out a couple of years ago that I love gardening.. vegetables, fruit , flowers.. anything and everything. I havent been terribly successful yet.. but working on that.

One thing that went very very well last year were my raspberry canes. They grew enormous, and were full of awesome berries. I originally planted 6 canes of Autumn Treasure but over 2015, that became 12 or 13 as new canes started growing.

I followed advice and in early January I pruned all the canes virtually back to the ground.

Looking at them know, there is no growth appearing yet and the bits of the canes that stick above the soil (around 2 - 3 inches) look dead.

Have I killed them, or am I just very impatient!? I know its still early etc.. but I cant see how theyre going to grow back in time to fruit again in Autumn at this rate?

Any kind of help would be much appreciated.

Will also be posting questions about carrots, parsnips in the coming days! Thank you everyone for your help in anticipation!
    Dave

They should come back in time to fruit.
    I don't know where you garden but here, in Kent, mine are only just beginning to grow through the soil again.

Comment

Thanks Thelma. Im in Plymouth..

Comment

Hi and welcome - even though you joined a few years ago
        I agree with Thelma, mine are just showing signs of life, although the old canes, that I left unpruned are coming into leaf
        We lurve questions so ask away! there's always someone here to help.

Comment

Like Thelma, the new shoots of my Autumn rasps are just starting to come to the surface now - so I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment.

I'm doing a Dorothy here, but talking about raspberries in general - I planted a range of both Summer and Autumn fruiting ones in the Winter of 2014, I'm absolutely amazed how far the new shoots are popping up from where they were originally planted back then.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X