Strawberries are dying

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries are dying

Hi all, I bought different sets of strawberries plants of different varieties and pot them on. They are staying in unheated GH with plenty of sun. Recently a single variety Korona started to have a couple of leaves dying and they look like burnt. It starts from the edges of the leave and goes all the way to centre. Other Korona which I haven't potted them yet seems healthy. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Also should I start to feed them when the first flower come on, or that could be when the first fruit appears?

Appreciate your advice.

Attached Files

sorry, I don't know the answer but untill someone comes along who does, I would suggest getting them out of your greenhouse in case its one of the contagious 'wilt' viruses.

In the meantime things to think about are; could they be burnt....greenhouses can get suddenly very hot on sunny spring days
    Pests, have a look at the roots of one....are there weevils or maggots in there?
    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Looking at the first pic, there is new growth so nothing wrong with the plant, I'd just cut off the damaged leaf & see how it goes. I think it's too big to be this years growth so maybe it's just one of last years giving up the ghost.
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 04-04-2016, 10:23 AM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Greenhouses, blah, too hot in summer too cold in winter. Take them out of the hot house, they are outdoor plants - or an opaque tunnel. They will get red spider mite in a greenhouse, too hot too dry too horrible. That leaf is last years, it is history. Do watch out for vine weevil though, I always use old compost - I just can't help it, I know we shouldn't but I do :-) Still using the same soil in the veg plot

Comment

I think these are last years leaves giving up the ghost as new growth comes. However, I also agree that you should get them outdoors as soon as possible. I find greenhouses are difficult at this time of year as the temperature fluctuates wildly.

I assume you are growing them in pots rather than in the ground if you want to feed them. I don't grow strawberries in pots because I've enough space to grow them at the allotment in the ground so my feeding is a top dressing of BFB in spring.

Comment

Thanks all for taking the time to respond. I've checked the roots and no maggots there. I'm using self-watering pot and I noticed the compost is over wet so I will hold of filling the reserve for a while.

I will take your advise and put them out of the GH as I noticed this started when one day the temp. went about 40 C and I wasn't sure if this could be due to heat or sunshine.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Comment

Keep us updated will you?
              Always interesting to see his things progress..
              Hopefully you've now got it sorted
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yeah as mentioned above these look like old leaves rather than a disease

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X