Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeyberries in tubs

Hi

I have just received 9 honeyberry plants, mainly the newer american varieties ie Borealis, Honeybee, Tundra, Indigo Gem & some modern Russian varieties.

My aim is to grow them in 30 - 50 litre tubs of John Innis No3, has anyone grown Honeyberries in tubs? Any pointers gratefully received.

Steve
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-04-2016, 06:22 PM. Reason: Title typo

can't help I'm afraid....I've never heard of honeyberries! But they sound interesting so I'm off for a g@@gle...

Okay, I'm back

Still won't be any help to you but WOW! they look wonderful!
    I wonder if they have that wonderful honysuckle scent?

If they do I may have to;
    a) buy a couple
    b) buy and erect some fences in random places to grow them up!
    Last edited by muddled; 06-04-2016, 11:06 AM.
    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I grow mine in the ground. They did survive in tubs for a year though when we moved.

Where did you get those varieties from? I haven't seen some of them before on my usual plant supplier websites.

Comment

What are hornyberries?
        He-Pep!

Comment

Not sure about Hornyberries (but for some reason WANT)

Honeyberries are a former of honeysuckle producing edible berries.

I planted a couple of the variety Kamchatca but will be keeping my eye out for a compatible pollinator.
          Last edited by Jay-ell; 06-04-2016, 11:49 AM. Reason: Had Hornyberries on my mind

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hornyberries sound more fun but STOP THERE STEVE! This could get silly!

I bought them from a trader in Eire I found on ebay. They seem rather a gamble, as the varieties are new to this side of pond. In for a penny....... ( or 4500 pennies!).....

If I have any success this year with them, some MAY end up in soft fruit swap circle.

I will try to keep the forum imformed of any progress.

Cheers
            Steve

Comment

They'd have to....forty five quid????
              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Just seen where the hornyberry came from. All I can say is dont trust spelik chquers

Comment

They'll always be Hornyberries now!
                  Would you like me to change the title?

Comment

If you could change title I would be happy, newby error

cheers
                    Steve

Comment

Title changed! I wanted to put the "other" spelling but thought I should be on my best behaviour, for once

Comment

Steve,

What size are the plants? All those varieties - nice. Do you know if they all flower at the same time? What about the harvest times?

I picked up mine last year at Wilk0s for £2 for a small pot whith a small plant in it. Only had one variety though. It'll probably fruit next year hopefully. They should be able to self pollinate but will probably do better with a pollination partner.

They’ve got flowers on at the moment but for this year I'll get them to concentrate on growth rather than fruit.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I have had mine a few years but they have been pulled about left right and centre so can't comment a great deal. Mine are only about 80cm tall and I tried a fruit last year and it wasn't great (a bit astringent) next time I went to get some the birds had had them

Comment

The plants came in 9cm pots and price wise they were £3.99 each. P&P from Eire came to £9.00. There is 5 American varieties as listed in first post. Honeybee is the main pollinator for the American varieties. They all flower very early spring ie Now. Normally fruiting late June. The Russian varieties also come with a pollenator too (I cant pronounce the names let alone spell them and I have had enough problems with spelling today )

There seems to be disagreement over them being self fertile but from the internet reading I've done, you need 2 varieties to get a decent crop. Single plants will crop but a reduced crop compared to having a pollinator with it. Hope that makes sense.

cheers
                            Steve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X