Gooseberries...I think?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooseberries...I think?!

I'm now finally finding time to make some progress with the allotment and it's coming on nicely. But, I seem to have 3 fruit bushes near the back. From what I can work out, they are gooseberry bushes though someone mentioned that one was blackcurrants.

Having had no intention of growing fruit originally, I've not got any idea what to do to look after them so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Photos would really help! Failing that blackcurrants smell strongly of blackcurrants when leaves are crushed or stems are cut. None of the currants are thorny. Most gooseberries are thorny but there are thornless varieties.

Comment

If they're thorny, they're probably gooseberries; if they're thornless and the leaves smell like blackcurrants, they're blackcurrants.
      If you want to keep them, weed around them and let them grow. They'll be putting out fruit buds soon so you don't want to prune them unless the branches need thinning to make picking easier.

Comment

If you want to grow them on, play safe & net them with fine netting.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If they are neither thorny nor have leaves smelling of black currants they could be red currants.

Comment

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
            If they are neither thorny nor have leaves smelling of black currants they could be red currants.
            Or white !
            Feed the soil, not the plants.
            (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
            Bob

Comment

come the autumn, prune all the gooseberry bushes to an open goblet shape and shove the 9/10ins trimmings into a sheltered site and leave them alone, late in the following spring you can lift these and plant out for fruit the following year, the blackcurrants can be trimmed to provide new plants but don't take too many as you want the first plant to grow away and fruit, and all it costs is half an hours work, not a bad return is it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X