Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should my rhubarb look like this or is something wrong?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should my rhubarb look like this or is something wrong?

Just wondering...

I have two bits of rhubarb. One looks what I would call normal and has sticks of fruit normal thickness growing out at various points on the plant. The other looks like this pic below with two really fat areas in the middle as well as a few normal thickness sticks of fruit around the edge.

It almost looks like it could burst into flower. Does a rhubarb flower?

Is this normal?

Attached Files

Yes it does flower and you need to cut them off before they use up too much of the plants energy.

Comment

Cut them off as low down as possible.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

That's a flower head, you need to remove it pronto else all the plants energy will go into the flowers and not into the plant root system.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Thanks... Offending bits removed.

Comment

Well done, I've got 2 crowns, one is in its 3rd year as it was grown by my mate at work from seed so is still young. Other crown is huge and I dug it up 2 years ago when I took over the plot and found it by accident when I moved the compost bin to a new location. Previous owner had buried it under the compost probably in an attempt to kill it but after I'd relocated it and it had settled in its new location it tried to flower last year, I didn't let it so it produced the usual ton of sticks instead.
            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

My rhubarb looks exactly same I think its normal I put some well rotted manure round top of plant to see if it will help it along!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X