nearly there

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nearly there

I watered the apricot and peach trees in the back greenhouse today and they are now colouring up nicely, a week to ten days I reckon til I can start on them, and its absolutely p***ing down again, no change there then.....
    Last edited by BUFFS; 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM.

If you have had them a number of years, you're gonna have to talk me through your pruning regime.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

that's the easy part, big pot, min 18ins across, about a 50ltr is ideal, train a good branch system for 3/4yrs to get proper strong branches, after its established, in the autumn each year, i trim a fair amount of the new growth, before leaf fall, that's easier, leaving about a third, or at least 2 new buds on each branch. each 3/4yrsI lift it out of the pot and remove about a third of the big thick roots and repot it into john innes No3, I pour at least 2 gallons onto it to settle the soil, they then go back into the greenhouse to protect from the rain we get, and wont need watering til spring. when they flower, I hand pollinate with a small kiddies paintbrush, stroked across each bloom each morning, for at least a week, once the fruit start showing, I feed with some tomato feed once a month and make sure they never dry out. that's about it, I wont fuss over stuff, if it wants to die it goes onto the compost heap, even the figs, treated the same but outside, are now getting a good size so given a reasonable summer we will have about 20 or so ,and from a 3ins cutting given away by a magazine, even the apricot and peach came from aldi (£3) and the range (£6) so with dustbins as pots they haven't cost a lot.. just have a go, plants just want reasonable conditions and then they will thrive, so its always worth a try , even here where we get monsoon summers and not a lot of sun, they still perform, maybe not as good as the south coast but worth the effort, the taste of them just off the tree is amazing....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X