Raspberry problem with pictures

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry problem with pictures

Hi everyone, i recently bought raspberry kanes potted from the most known and reputable gardening centre around here, they've been in the pot a couple months now while i prepare somewhere for them and find a space. However they've developed a discolouration and die-back and generally don't look too healthy. Can you take a look and tell me what you think. I'm suspecting root rot, as they've been moist in the pot and possibly too moist too long. The roots dont seem too weak, the support roots, and the main tap type roots seem ok apart from discolouration a bit, looks like its worn through in bits, i don't know, there was some very light moldy, silvery looking substance on parts of the roots but almost misseable. Thanks.
    Attached Files

I think for this year you should cut your losses, cut the canes down to about 12" and plant them in the ground.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I think for this year you should cut your losses, cut the canes down to about 12" and plant them in the ground.
      Yes and asap, plant them deep and make sure they have something to feed on, even some horse manure that you can get in bags from a diy store, an empty sack won't stand...
      Last edited by BUFFS; 28-07-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Ideally leave some good(ish) leaves on them and as they may be watrlogged, that the ground is not too wet. Plant them first then decide how much to chop off. Raspberries are pretty hard to kill off though.

Comment

You say they've been in the pots for a couple of months - are they the same pots that you bought them in? And if so, have you fed them? The compost will be exhausted by now. Keeping them too wet won't help, but they might just need a good lunch.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Is it just the fruited canes that appear to be dying back? If so that's just what they do. What variety are they? I'm confused by Buffs comment to plant deep as I always understood raspberries are shallow rooted.

Comment

How many did you have per pot? How big was the pot?

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                Is it just the fruited canes that appear to be dying back? If so that's just what they do. What variety are they? I'm confused by Buffs comment to plant deep as I always understood raspberries are shallow rooted.
                Yes, it's the new growth that's affected, the old woody canes seem fine. i'm not particularly experienced in botanical diagnosis.

Comment

Hi and welcome.
                  Plants sold at garden centres are intended to be potted on or planted out - not kept in the same small pots they are sold in. If you can't plant them out yet, then pot them into larger pots with some fresh compost. Give them a chance and they'll bounce back next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X