How long do damsons fruit for?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do damsons fruit for?

I have a 35-40 foot damson in my garden and it has fruited well (give or take a year) for at least the 20 years I have lived in my current house. It was huge when I moved in, and looks like fruiting well again this year.

I read somewhere that they only fruit for 30 years, or was this just a commercial grower's arbitrary rule?

Edit: No idea what variety it is.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 12-07-2017, 07:48 PM.

I reckon they'll do 50 years easily enough - after that you may have to think about replanting :-)

I have one I dug as a sucker out a hedge 30 years ago - about 50 ft high now - I cut it's twin down a couple of years ago, as I had a lot more damsons than I knew what to do with.

Comment

Should be good for a few more years then

Comment

Yep - the damson wood is really hard too - I'm using some of it for making replacement tool handles. I treated my self to a lathe a few years ago, and its been good fun trying different woods on it.

Comment

I used to have 2 of equal size, but the other one never fruited, and split right down the middle during a gale in 2002 - BBC NEWS | UK | Britain counts storm damage cost

In the end the bark started falling off and fungus started to grow on it, so I realised it was dead, so had to chop it down. Didn't want to keep the wood in case it was infected with honey fungus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X