No announcement yet.

2018 Strawberries.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M/boy, high nitrogen for green growth until the fruits show, I use Miracle Grow. When the fruit has set change to high potash I use Tomorite to swell the fruit
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      I shall be replacing my Strawberry bed for next season, I have Cambridge Favourites now and will have a few runners from them, but I want to have a couple more varieties for outside, any recommendations? Flavour is the key thing for me.
      Sorry, next year I could give you an answer, my six each of Korona, Mariguette, Christine, Symphony, Cupid, Marshmello, Flamenco, Cambridge favourite were only first year last year so not enough output to give a fair answer. What would say is the early Christine are nearly flowering vs the latter ones that are no where near so hopefully one will fruit when this years fortnight of summer comes

Comment

Had the first ripe strawberries yesterday

Just the two fruits, but it's a start, and a real taste of summer.

These were the Korona variety, plants bought from Lidl.

Comment

I harvested my first few strawberries today. Do strawberries need bees for pollination? I’d like to cover mine to keep the birds off, but the only netting I have that’s big enough is quite a fine mesh, too fine for bees.

Comment

I grow my strawberries in towers as I'm very limited in garden space. Watering is from the centre of the tower using irrigation tubing with extra drippers added. I have no idea what type of strawberries I have as they were just listed as 'strawberries' at my local nursery. As soon as I have figured out how to upload pictures from my mobile phone I will post pictures of my towers

Comment

Still growing my strawberry plant. A few flowers have developed.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                My Mara Des Bois are flowering, I go round with a small paintbrush pollinating them whilst buzzing like a Bee, my Grandsons asked why, I said the plants might be listening, probably confirmed to them that their Grandad is slightly nuts(I said slightly).
                That sounds like a plan- as a complete newbie how do I go about pollinating? I've 3 plants and plenty of flowers- they're in the greenhouse so suppose the bees won't be there to do their stuff.cheers GG

Comment

I'm pretty sure strawberries self-pollinate, much like tomatoes and chillies. They are self-fertile, with flowers that have both male and female parts.

It's possible that indoor grown strawberries might benefit from some help, but this could be an occasional gentle tickle or shake of the whole plant to dislodge some pollen, the same way as some people gently shake or tap their tomato or chilli pots and tubs. Don't think there's need for anything else

Outdoor plants are likely to self-pollinate themselves quite happily, stimulated by both breeze and pollinating insects.

By contrast, courgettes etc have two different flowers, male and female, and will always need some sort of pollination, whether it's insects or with manual help, especially early season.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2378372Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	2378373

Have plenty flowers on my strawberries, but noticed a couple of them are being chewed by something, even after I put straw around them. My strawberries are usually one of my plants that escapes the pests. Any ideas wha it is and how to protect them? They are just in a raised bed outside.

Comment

Chris 11 I think your right about being self pollenating I certainly do nothing either indoors or out. The indoor ones do get disturbed occasionally as I move them around to accommodate stuff.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=annie8;1598201]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2378372Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	2378373

Have plenty flowers on my strawberries, but noticed a couple of them are being chewed by something, even after I put straw around them. My strawberries are usually one of my plants that escapes the pests. Any ideas wha it is and how to protect them? They are just in a raised bed

Ann8 . Your plants are being damaged by slugs.
                        You will also need to watch out for the birds when they start to ripen.
                        I put netting over mine.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Still picking strawberries every day now

Have given them a feed to encourage them to keep going.

Comment

Ours are now done though the Alpines I sowed earlier this year are starting to put out flowers

Comment

I'm averaging a strawberry every 3-4 days. Very flavourful. Just not many.

Comment

For the first time in the 3 years since we've lived here I beat the blackbirds to the strawberries this year (I cheated and netted them) I've picked a total of 24!

I think I might invest in some new plants next year....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X