2018 Strawberries.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Strawberries.

Looks like we will get some early GH strawberries again this year despite the bad start to the season.
    Attached Files
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

I wish mine started producing strawberries. No flowers on mine yet.
    Carrie

Comment

Congrats Potty, those first ones always taste the best.
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 22-04-2018, 08:13 AM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Very excited to see a few buds on my GH strawberries today.

Comment

Yes have flowers here and its great to see. Slight issue is not all are an early variety, will sort that this year from runners. Have removed flowers from the everbearers so hopefully more late season fruit off them

Comment

My Mara Des Bois are flowering, I go round with a small paintbrush pollinating them whilst buzzing like a Bee, my Grandsons asked why, I said the plants might be listening, probably confirmed to them that their Grandad is slightly nuts(I said slightly).

Comment

You say "slightly" - I'd like to get a second opinion from your grandsons :-)

Comment

I've actually got a few of the little baby fruits forming on some of my outdoor ones... mind you, there were ones I bought a few weeks ago, so probably got going under cover somewhere!

Comment

Nothing on mine in the greenhouse yet, but they were only seeds 4 months ago and they are supposed to be autumn fruiters - if I even get any off them at all in the first year.

They are only in the greenhouse until they've got big and bold enough to go outside in the fruit cage anyway.

Comment

I shall be replacing my Strawberry bed for next season, I have Cambridge Favourites now and will have a few runners from them, but I want to have a couple more varieties for outside, any recommendations? Flavour is the key thing for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bren In Pots;1592388]Congrats Potty, those first ones always taste the best.[/QUOTE

Do they Bren? I wouldn't know I have a not so secret strawberry eater........
                      Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 25-04-2018, 07:55 PM.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Didn't know whether to post here or create my own thread:

Earlier in the year, my wife wanted one of those strawberries in metal buckets that you see in supermarkets. We duly bought it, sowed the seeds and kept it regularly watered (metal so no drainage holes). Apart from a layer of moss or lichen or something on top, nothing germinated.

So yesterday I went to Homebase. What I thought were a pack of Cambridge Favourites turned out to be Honeoye. I got three small plants. Can I plant them into one large trough planter?

What can I do to prevent damage by pests eg slugs, insects? I was thinking of throwing some netting over the planter.

Comment

Every thing I grow is in a container of one sort or an other. My outdoor strawberries are in troughs 2ft long and 6" x 6" square I get three plants in those, you will have to keep them well watered and fed though

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Watering isn't an issue. Anything I should use in particular for feeding?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD21989B-2F84-40F0-8030-3A88627D04BA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2377460
                              Plenty of blossom on pokytunnel strawberries. I have noticed ants on some of the blossoms in the beds. There arent any greenfly and i dont know what the ants are doing there.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	84F6059C-DAD1-4169-8FE3-B97D3F2691DB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	2377461
                              These pink flowers of ‘just add cream’ strawberries in a basket are pretty. The plants are nowhere near as vigorous as some of the other varieties but the pink flowers make up for it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X