No announcement yet.

Growing Melons in the UK

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Jen, thats a very kind offer and i'll be glad to try a few of those next year

I did notice tonight that the Midgets in the border are giving up the ghost now that they are picked,looking rather yellow and wilted.

The pgdr are still putting out flowers like mad,even the sole survivor outside in the open garden has finally decided to grow. (I think that now the green beans are in full leaf, they are sheltering the melon from the wind) Thinking about it, i'm going to plonk a cold frame over it tomorrow night and give it a chance.

Comment

• Well melon number 11 decided to pop off the vine in the porch this afternoon.
      it was a very respectable 1lb 3oz and is destined for my lovely Mum in Law who's Birthday it is this weekend. She loves melon

As a side note I have managed to harvest at least one melon per plant (I had 11) and to date 10lb 7oz worth of melon from the Collective Farm Woman melons so far... There are a few more to come and next year I will try to increase the quantity per plant.

My target this year was at least 1 melon per plant so target achieved (tick) and by the 8th August !!! (I was not expecting them all this early)

I hope this thread, while it is not finished yet, will encourage anyone to have a go at growing melons next year, if you like them as much as me x

Click image for larger version

Name:	8th Aug 2018 Melon 11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2379999

Comment

• Earthgirl Jen I am definitely growing melons next year after seeing that photo. I haven't had that much success before, but I will def have another go next year

Comment

• Had our first 2 garla melons last night. Not the ripest I've ever eaten, but still a lovely flavour. Only picked them because they were doing there usual trick of splitting in half.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
            Had our first 2 garla melons last night. Not the ripest I've ever eaten, but still a lovely flavour. Only picked them because they were doing there usual trick of splitting in half.
            SP any melon we've grown ourselves and then get to eat is a success in my book

If you'd like to try some of the 2lb 2oz CFW melon seed I've saved then you are welcome to some. Whilst they aren't the biggest melons as a rule, they sure are tasty and keep very well in the fridge. For this particular variety having now harvested 11 this season and only one that split, I'm getting better at judging when to harvest them.

I'm also going to save the seed from the second largest one (1lb 13oz) which was harvested on the 4th Aug and is still sitting in the fridge looking gorgeous. I bet that will be tasty as well, I'll post if it was still any good. x

Comment

• Another melon just parted from a plant weighing just over 1kg, the one on the right. generally when I've tried to grow them, half the plants have died and the rest just linger. but this year they seem to have gone bananas (or melons may be). On my to do list: tidy the kitchen table. Unfortunately I've no idea what varieties as I sowed the remains of several packets and lots germinated. We just ate one with green flesh that was absolutely delicious so will have to see if I can find the empty packets.

Name:	melons.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2380020

Comment

• The good thing about melons is that they do not appear to be eaten by any pests, same with winter squashes and courgettes.

Just found another the twin of the one above but weighing in at 1.25kg, hoping it's a green one.
                Last edited by Mark_Riga; 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
                  Another melon just parted from a plant weighing just over 1kg, the one on the right. generally when I've tried to grow them, half the plants have died and the rest just linger. but this year they seem to have gone bananas (or melons may be). On my to do list: tidy the kitchen table. Unfortunately I've no idea what varieties as I sowed the remains of several packets and lots germinated. We just ate one with green flesh that was absolutely delicious so will have to see if I can find the empty packets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82500[/ATTACH]
                  Mark they are nice LARGE melons, I bet you're chuffed.

If they are not F1 seeds are you keeping any? providing you can find the packets?

Chuffed to bits for you x

Comment

• I've got one that's about table tennis ball size, I hope it carries on growing now it's turned cooler. Also 2 pea-sized ones where the flowers have died without the fruits falling off, so fingers crossed for those as well
                    They seem to be a bit late, but you never know

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                      I've got one that's about table tennis ball size, I hope it carries on growing now it's turned cooler. Also 2 pea-sized ones where the flowers have died without the fruits falling off, so fingers crossed for those as well
                      They seem to be a bit late, but you never know

I think you'll be a LOT warmer in Kent than us on the coast Thelma, so I'll cross my fingers and toes for you to help them grow x

Still plenty of time yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Earthgirl Jen View Post
                        I think you'll be a LOT warmer in Kent than us on the coast
                        Don't know about that - was down to 8.3C overnight and I don't think they'll like that very much

Comment

Don't know about that - was down to 8.3C overnight and I don't think they'll like that very much
                          we have had 2 weeks of cool/cold weather now and 8.3 sounds tropical to us and we have 7 melons nearly ripe, but doing nothing, as it is too cold, even in the greenhouse, to spur their growth. what we need is some warmth and some sun.. for the record, we have lost all the melons to the cold of august for the past 3 yrs running, we were hoping for better this year.., not October but august = mid summer????

Comment

• The 8.3C was inside the greenhouse, but I agree -stupid weather isn't it! Commiserations..

Comment

• Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                              we have had 2 weeks of cool/cold weather now and 8.3 sounds tropical to us and we have 7 melons nearly ripe, but doing nothing, as it is too cold, even in the greenhouse, to spur their growth. what we need is some warmth and some sun.. for the record, we have lost all the melons to the cold of august for the past 3 yrs running, we were hoping for better this year.., not October but august = mid summer????
                              Toes and fingers crossed BUFFS x
                              Do you grow the same variety every year?

Comment

I know Thelma we haven't and it much warmer most nights, poor plants don't know whether they are coming or going... However even with the cold nights may I welcome, mini melon number 12, thanks to the cold nights it reached the 'dizzy' weight of 9.25oz, my smallest yet! I gave it a gentle tug this morning and it came away... Know I know why...

Name:	13th Aug 2018 Mini melon 12.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2380070

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X